June Bug Trap *EASY*

Just wondering, is catching bugs and freezing them possible? Or is there any way to catch large amounts of bugs to save them for later? Also what is the nutritional value of a June Bugs to chickens?
I know this post is really old but I'm just reading this now. As far as freezing bugs we started doing that a few years ago and the chickens get nice treats during the winter. We always get bombarded with stink bugs and started freezing them by the gallon bag full! I don't know how much it effects the nutritional value but I would imagine a good portion is retained?

My chickens have been enjoying a ton of June Bugs every morning. I only have three chickens so all i use is a 5 gallon water bucket but for a larger flock i imagine a childs wading pool would work great.

I simply fill the 5 gallon bucket 3/4 of the way full. Then I place a heat lamp with a regular bulb right over the water...obviously secure it SOLID AND TIGHT!!! Turn the light on at dusk and in the morning the top of the water should be covered with june bugs!

Enjoy a flock of excited happy chickens!!! :)
Thank you so much! I have 3 dozen chickens and when I threw a dozen and a half through the gate they all went CRAZY! I had to feel sorry for the ones that missed out. Since then I have been searching for a way to catch them en masse without spending money on a machine. I already have three swimming pools filled with water. This will help greatly!

Back
Top Bottom