June Hatch A Long

Thank you for that info! I have lost several ducks in prior hatches because they never got out of their shells. I blame my incubator and my user error. My mallard x welsh eggs pipped, zipped and hatched on day 25. The others lagged behind and my only surviving welshies needed help getting out. Hoping this little guy will hang in there and his slow buddies will eventually pip, zip and hatch on their own.
Ducks often need help. Our issue this last hatch was the humidity was through the roof through the whole incubation and the chicks were just too huge to move in the eggs.

I saw veins and yolk when I checked last night. Not as much this morning. Checking again when I get home this afternoon
Yup I check and then reapply coconut oil and put them back in. Each time you reapply work at the edges of the membrane to make sure it's not sticking to the chick. They will let you know when they are ready. They get very loud and start moving around much more when they are ready. When they are still absorbing they just lay kind of quiet.

367E0FA8-C8A3-4FAB-B082-C8C454BA8193.jpeg 6B8AB8DA-BB15-4AA4-A678-B1D43E5C1CE0.jpeg 0ECF5E96-9382-4B19-941B-EBB480C362A8.jpeg Still catching up but I candled the shipped eggs this morning, 1 had no development, 1 had a blood ring and 1 was slightly cracked and smelled. Glad I checked them all today. Saved me a stinky nest under my broody. I put the eggs due this weekend under lock down.

View attachment 1811639 View attachment 1811641 View attachment 1811642 Still catching up but I candled the shipped eggs this morning, 1 had no development, 1 had a blood ring and 1 was slightly cracked and smelled. Glad I checked them all today. Saved me a stinky nest under my broody. I put the eggs due this weekend under lock down.

So glad you caught the sticky egg before it exploded! :sick
Fingers crossed for your hatch this weekend! I can't wait to see pictures! :fl

View attachment 1811639 View attachment 1811641 View attachment 1811642 Still catching up but I candled the shipped eggs this morning, 1 had no development, 1 had a blood ring and 1 was slightly cracked and smelled. Glad I checked them all today. Saved me a stinky nest under my broody. I put the eggs due this weekend under lock down.
That’s a great picture of a blood ring! We got shipped eggs but I was afraid to put them under a broody due to potential problems with shipped air cells so the need to keep them more upright. I gave the two broodies ceramic eggs and intend to put the eggs under them at day 18 (next Wed). Have you had success putting shipped eggs directly under broodies?

That’s a great picture of a blood ring! We got shipped eggs but I was afraid to put them under a broody due to potential problems with shipped air cells so the need to keep them more upright. I gave the two broodies ceramic eggs and intend to put the eggs under them at day 18 (next Wed). Have you had success putting shipped eggs directly under broodies?
Due to the air cells often detaching in shipped eggs it's often better to incubate them upright like in an egg turner.

This is my first time with both a broody and shipped eggs. I let them rest upright for 24 hours before placing them under her. All of the air cells looked good when I got them. I'm replacing my Drake and want her to raise some babies. I have enough to raise and a 6 month old people baby however, once my incubator is empty this weekend I am going to be taking some of the eggs back from her to sell. 12 babies would be a lot for her haha.

Yesterday, I did a very quick, in place candle of the Day 11 shipped + our own eggs in the incubator; I’ll do a real, decision making candle this weekend at Day 14. I’ve been running humidity at 30-40% with an overall average of 37%. Even in our own eggs, the air cells looked big, at least like the 14 day image in the attached image, if not bigger. I did not weigh eggs. So, I’m increasing humidity. I added water slowly yesterday but wasn’t getting above 40% so just added much more water this AM and am now at 54%. I was curious on thoughts of how high to go on humidity if air cells are big?

Attachments

• 0A900F4C-B2F2-45FC-BCD8-2DC6D0C7D692.gif
    0A900F4C-B2F2-45FC-BCD8-2DC6D0C7D692.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom