Jungle Fowl Rooster Deceased

winterwolf4

Songster
Feb 17, 2023
Oregon
Yesterday morning I went to go fill up the chicks water and clean out the chicken. I found our 7 to 8 year old jungle fowl rooster dead. He had blood coming out if his beak. He had no feathers missing and had been eating and drinking normal when I would go feed the chickens.
We had a flock dynamic change recently with us getting rid if 7 roosters just leaving with the original 2 so I don't know if our Aracauna rooster attacked him or something else got him. There was no big chunks if feathers missing.

Could it be some disease that I have to worry about my other chickens catching?

On another note it was 37 degrees and extremely windy. The weather has been really cold for the last few weeks. Could that have played a part in the death of the rooster?

Blood out of his nose sounds like he aspirated (drowned) in his own fluids.
I don't know about in birds but that's how my horse died. A huge list of things can cause it in mammals, from bleeding in the lungs due to trauma or infections or underlying physiological conditions, or it can be caused by poisons both manmade and naturally occurring (some plants).

Without a necropsy it won't be possible to know. It costs so much to have an autopsy on a horse (including transport of a thousand inert pounds) that I couldn't find out the cause for my boy. But thankfully finding out for chickens is much much easier.
It would be good for you to know just in case it is something related to a pathogen so you can help your other birds.

He may have been pecked in his beak and bled, but very hard to know. If you still have his body, you could do a home necropsy, looking at his organs cut open his windpipe (trachea) to look for red Y-shaped worms (gapeworm,) and look for any wounds. If you do a necropsy, post any pictures here for opinions. There might have been a hemorrhage somewhere. I lean toward injury but at his age, he could have had a heart problem. Sorry for your loss.

Yesterday morning I went to go fill up the chicks water and clean out the chicken. I found our 7 to 8 year old jungle fowl rooster dead. He had blood coming out if his beak. He had no feathers missing and had been eating and drinking normal when I would go feed the chickens.
We had a flock dynamic change recently with us getting rid if 7 roosters just leaving with the original 2 so I don't know if our Aracauna rooster attacked him or something else got him. There was no big chunks if feathers missing.

Could it be some disease that I have to worry about my other chickens catching?

On another note it was 37 degrees and extremely windy. The weather has been really cold for the last few weeks. Could that have played a part in the death of the rooster?
I don't have any answers, but I want to say that I'm sorry for your loss.
Blood out of his nose sounds like he aspirated (drowned) in his own fluids.
I don't know about in birds but that's how my horse died. A huge list of things can cause it in mammals, from bleeding in the lungs due to trauma or infections or underlying physiological conditions, or it can be caused by poisons both manmade and naturally occurring (some plants).

Without a necropsy it won't be possible to know. It costs so much to have an autopsy on a horse (including transport of a thousand inert pounds) that I couldn't find out the cause for my boy. But thankfully finding out for chickens is much much easier.
It would be good for you to know just in case it is something related to a pathogen so you can help your other birds.
And, the same. I'm very sorry about your horse.

Back
Top Bottom