Heart attack in Rooster, prevention and chance?

Jayden Owens

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
Just a few hours ago, our 2 year old silkie rooster died of what I assume is a heart attack. I saw him he thrashing around on the coop camera and immediately ran out to him, he was atill moving literal seconds before I ran out to him but we were unsuccessful at bringing him back.

We still have 1 one more rooster (we had a total a 4 in all the time we've been keeping chickens, 1 was relocated, 1 drowned last September (my best baby boy), 1 is the son of the drowned rooster.

I really want to know what are the chances of this happening in pet chickens (they're our babies, we still have americauna hens who are 8 years old this year), from what I looked up it only mentioned the chances are bigger for broiler chickens, but our chickens arent raised anything like broilers.

I also want to know if there is a way to prevent the likelihood of this happening with our last rooster (he is all I have left of my baby boy I lost, and I never recovered from losing him and I dont want to lose anymore.) We're thinking of getting him checked at the vet to make sure his heart is in good condition.

Sorry to hear about your rooster!

What feed do you feed them? Roosters shouldn't eat layer feed, as the calcium in it isn't meant for them. It can lead to organ failure or liver disease.

I was feeding my flock of hens and one rooster layer feed, and my rooster died. We assume from a heart issue. I'm guessing the layer feed was the problem, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about your rooster!

What feed do you feed them? Roosters shouldn't eat layer feed, as the calcium in it isn't meant for them. It can lead to organ failure or liver disease.

I was feeding my flock of hens and one rooster layer feed, and my rooster died. We assume from a heart issue. I'm guessing the layer feed was the problem, unfortunately.
We have been feeding them the layer feed so there's a chance it could've been that too. Do you know about any better options to feed them all? For a while, we used the starter feed since we knew about the issues roosters have with the layer feed. Or would the best option be getting two different kinds of feed?

We have been feeding them the layer feed so there's a chance it could've been that too. Do you know about any better options to feed them all? For a while, we used the starter feed since we knew about the issues roosters have with the layer feed. Or would the best option be getting two different kinds of feed?
Just feed them "all flock" feed and keep some crushed oyster shell available to them. The rooster won't bother with the oyster shell and the all flock feed doesn't have supplemental calcium.

Well, you can use an all flock or a grower feed, I think. I might be concerned about having hens on grower feed.

I keep a tub of oyster shell out for the hens. They also love crushed eggshells.

Back
Top Bottom