Jungle Fowl

Pics
Oh...so the rest of that is that it might actually be EASIER to cross a Green Junglefowl with a domestic chicken than with a Red Junglefowl (although not as easily as crossing domestic with Red Junglefowl). The resulting cross might be MORE likely to be fertile since there is more genetic commonality (Red and Green Junglefowl have lived side-by-side in the wild with few if any natural hybrids). I'm rather encouraged by this but I can expect the early crosses to be less fertile and short lived but hopefully there will still be some fertility with F1 males and if those are crosses with domestic hens and then those are crossed to each other hopefully fertility will be decent and hopefully some of those Green Junglefowl colors will also show up.

I was checking out breeds on Feathersite. There is a picture of a male Rapanui fowl that looks like it may have neck feathers similar to a Green Junglefowl male. I will send you a list of breeds that occur in the Pacific Rim - western, and Western South America and maybe you can locate hens from one of those breeds. Many if these breed " stories" mention the strong possibility that the Green JF had a role on their ancestry. More later.....

Hi, Good research. I have seen some parts, but not the chart/graph. I have searched for breeds that are of the Indian Game/Thai Game type and therefore may have aome green genes in them:
Madagascar Game Fowl
Asils/Aseels (India)
Burmese Game Fowl
Thai Game Fowl
Malays (Malaysia)
Indonesian:
Ayam Bekisar
Ayam Cemani
Sumatras
Ga Noi Game Fowl (Vietnam)
Saipan Jungle Fowl
Japanese:
Shamo
Yamato Gunkei (a similar breed is in Vietnam)
Satsumadori
Kuro Gashiwa
Koeyushi
Easter Island:
RAPANUI - check this picture out!!!
South America:
Araucana
Ameraucana
Brazilian Gamefowl

The Rapanui is the most interesting. All these breeds are from Feathersite and they usually list breeders where you might be able to obtain hatching eggs or???

Last edited:
Chickens derived from polynesian dispersal make sense to have addition of Green Jungle Fowl. Bekisar figure prominantly in that. My understanding of science on the south American chickens (excluding games) is that findings conflict as to how and when they arrived.

Many of the more vertical games are derived from Aseels which repressent a very old breed likely to be of Red Jungle Fowl (~85%) x Grey Jungle Fowl (~15%) descent. The tight feathering and erect posture need not invoke Green Jungle Fowl in their background.

What specific characters are desired in this hybridization product?

I was given access to that one article and it stated that through mitochondrial mtDNA analysis they have found that most lines of Indonesian Laughing Chickens DO have Green Junglefowl in them and are derived from the Bekisar hybrid of Green and Red Junglefowl. Unfortunately I don't think I can get my hands on any of th Laughing Chickens but I haven't looked yet.

Chickens derived from polynesian dispersal make sense to have addition of Green Jungle Fowl. Bekisar figure prominantly in that. My understanding of science on the south American chickens (excluding games) is that findings conflict as to how and when they arrived.

Many of the more vertical games are derived from Aseels which repressent a very old breed likely to be of Red Jungle Fowl (~85%) x Grey Jungle Fowl (~15%) descent. The tight feathering and erect posture need not invoke Green Jungle Fowl in their background.

What specific characters are desired in this hybridization product?

Mostly I'd like birds with the colorful comb of the Green Junglefowl but some of the feather color would be great too. Ideally I'd end up with something very like a Green Junglefowl in appearance but with the relaxed attitude, hardiness, increased egg laying and simple diet of domesticated chickens.

I was given access to that one article and it stated that through mitochondrial mtDNA analysis they have found that most lines of Indonesian Laughing Chickens DO have Green Junglefowl in them and are derived from the Bekisar hybrid of Green and Red Junglefowl. Unfortunately I don't think I can get my hands on any of th Laughing Chickens but I haven't looked yet.

How would they get Green Jungle Fowl mitochondria when female hybrid is sterile?

Hi, Good research. I have seen some parts, but not the chart/graph. I have searched for breeds that are of the Indian Game/Thai Game type and therefore may have aome green genes in them:
Madagascar Game Fowl
Asils/Aseels (India)
Burmese Game Fowl
Thai Game Fowl
Malays (Malaysia)
Indonesian:
     Ayam Bekisar
     Ayam Cemani
     Sumatras
Ga Noi Game Fowl (Vietnam)
Saipan Jungle Fowl
Japanese:
     Shamo 
     Yamato Gunkei (a similar breed is in Vietnam)
     Satsumadori
     Kuro Gashiwa
     Koeyushi
Easter Island:
     RAPANUI - check this picture out!!!
South America:
    Araucana
          Ameraucana
     Brazilian Gamefowl

The Rapanui is the most interesting. All these breeds are from Feathersite and they usually list breeders where you might be able to obtain hatching eggs or???

I've read up on some of those Pacific Island breeds before but it was before I ever thought about there being breeds out there with some Green Junglefowl blood in them. They sure are different than most domestic chicken breeds including some that have a "laughing" crow...like the Indonesian Laughing Chickens" derived from Bekisars that have definitely have GJF blood. I like the looks of this Quechua that has iridescent feathers reminiscent of GJF and very similar to Ayam Cemani:
http://www.gracefulchickens.com/violaceous-black-pearl/

After reading this thread I started to get interested in the Red Jungle Fowl.

I got my first pair yesterday.. they are just settling in.

I plan to keep the hen separate and so her eggs will be 100 percent jungle fowl... but the rooster will be able to mix with my Thai Bantams... and should produce some nice looking colourful offspring from them.

They Jungle fowl pair seem a bit skittish... but settle down quickly after I offer them some grains.

Are they OK to be released eventually to roam the garden with my chickens... or will they fly off like pheasants?

Back
Top Bottom