Jungle Fowl

Pics
I think vent sexing only works for chicks that haven't eaten yet. Technically you could open up the body cavity as if you were making a capon and just take a look at if there are testes or ovaries inside. My Jubilee Orpingtons took about 8 month for the hens to mature but the roosters took a few months longer...maybe 10 months!

He's not in my stomach yet. I have my free range trio together now in his cage. I moved him out to another cage. He's on probation I guess. If he goes past a year old, he'll be on death row.

Did you get the picture I sent you? If you so desire, you have my permission to post it here, or anywhere you want.

He's not in my stomach yet.  I have my free range trio together now in his cage.  I moved him out to another cage.  He's on probation I guess.  If he goes past a year old, he'll be on death row. 

Did you get the picture I sent you?  If you so desire, you have my permission to post it here, or anywhere yo
u want.

I did...I was very briefly in Mexico and I didnt want to use my phone on international roaming. Very cool-looking birds!

He's an example of an observation you made before. Dragon Bone birds do seem to self select. He was selected based on surviving in this particular predator rich environment. I would bet that in addition to survival in the environment, sexual selection played a part, as well,.in some of the Oceanic breeds.

I've been breeding toward birds that can live in a predator rich environment for a long time now. It's an easy project when you happen to live in a predator rich environment.

Definitely not Kauai. All that is exotic in these birds comes from just basic standard hatchery Red Jungle Fowl (RJF) and some Ayam Cemani. I've had three or four RJF and the little cock involved in this breeding is the best so far. I think he came from Cackle. The rest of their make-up is Brown Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Silver Spangled Hamburg.

These are just the birds that evaded the coon, fox, coyote, opossum, hawks, kites, wild dogs etc.

I've been breeding toward birds that can live in a predator rich environment for a long time now.  It's an easy project when you happen to live in a predator rich environment.

Definitely not Kauai.  All that is exotic in these birds comes from just basic standard hatchery Red Jungle Fowl (RJF) and some Ayam Cemani.  I've had three or four RJF and the little cock involved in this breeding is the best so far.  I think he came from Cackle.  The rest of their make-up is Brown Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Silver Spangled Hamburg.

These are just the birds that evaded the coon, fox, coyote, opossum, hawks, kites, wild dogs etc.

I love it. Natural selection at its finest. I think this is the way to create a hearty healthy animal. I have been looking at the red jungle fowl crackle nursery and was wondering if they were just a glorified gamebird. So it is interesting to read your post and your experience with them.

Who else has Jungle Fowl here?   

I recently got a pair of gray jungle fowl from Elton Housley. I am looking for the greens and the Ceylon to buy as well.

Back
Top Bottom