Just a regular girl in NC. Then I found BYC...

Mama C

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Chatham County, NC
Okay BYCers-

I have been hanging around the forum for a few months now, but I’ve been chicken-less the entire time. I know, I know – some of you can’t comprehend that! But this is the big week. My 26 little gals are set to ship from McMurray this weekend. So I just wanted to say “Hello” and let you know that you have officially ruined another perfectly normal person. I hope you’re happy.

Originally I was going to start with a 10x8 coop and a small order of chicks, but then I found BYC and wondered why NOT a 10x12?? Then I thought, but if I build a 10x16 I can still have my 120 sq ft but then I can have 40 sq ft of storage as well. Then the simple metal roof became a shingled roof, painted plywood walls became easy to clean tileboard and heaven knows a wood floor would not be as convenient as a vinyl one! Insulation? Sure. Just in case. My coop is now officially better built than my current home. I’m not exaggerating.

The run that was to be 160 square feet is now planned for twice that. We don’t have a single chicken feather on our property yet and I’m wondering how long I should wait to buy an incubator. I read the hatching egg auctions religiously and I’m making a list of breeders whose birds I would like to add next.

People keep saying “You must really like eggs to get that many chickens!” And the punchline is that No, I’m not all that fond of them.
idunno.gif

This is what you people have done to me. Yeah, I’m looking at you…users numbered 1 to 60,761 and counting.

Tomorrow I go to make sure things are set at the post office and set up/test the brooder. I also need to finalize my predator proofing on the coop. I can only imagine where this adventure is going to take me. Actually, no I can’t. I never expected to be involved at this level so I guess I’ll just kick back and wait to see where you guys take me next!

Seriously though - BIG thanks for all the amazing information! I learn something new every day I am here! BYCer's are quickly becoming my very favorite people!!
love.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!! Now you can include yourself in the BYC Favorite People category. We love chickens and their keepers. And we are enablers as you have already figured out. Welcome to the club!!

you NEED a bator right away, and remember is not a real flock until you get Naked Necks, just got ot have them
lau.gif

38176_chicks_067.jpg

AND WELCOME ALL THE WAY FROM FLORIDA
wee.gif

Oh enablers…you are so nice and yet so evil. Thank you all for the kind welcome!

And Nifty, all of what they say about NC is true. It really is an amazing place to live. We have great people, great weather, and we are never at a loss for fun things to do from the mountains to the beaches to the state parks, museums, nightlife, festivals and on and on and on. There is something for everyone. I’ve been in NC 12 years and I meet folks all the time who have just moved in state but I have never met anyone who wanted to leave! Just a little food for thought…y’know…while we’re enabling…

Back
Top Bottom