Just brought these two home, Cochin and I don't know?

MunkeeChicken

Hatching
Aug 26, 2015
Hello all,

I have a few hens already two plymouth rocks and a lohman brown. Today I scooped up these two girls. One I am sure is a white Cochin, the other I have no clue. She is a big girl for sure much larger and heavier than our other chickens.

Any idea what she might be? Thanks in advance and nice to meet you all. :D

Sorry, but your White Cochin hen is actually a rooster :( He has pointed saddle feathers which are a male only trait. Boy your second girl looks like a Bielefelder! They are extremely uncommon, but they are also known for being very large. Where did you get her?

After reading everyones responses, I would like to thank all of you for your help.

As far as "Rosalie" the mystery hen, after looking at both the Bielefelder and the Golden Cukoo Marans, I am inclined to say she is a Bielefelder based on her size.

Now onto "Contstance" the white cochin, I see what you mean about the saddle feathers, however when I went to look at them, they do appear rounded like my other hens have. If this one lays I guess that mystery will be solved, if not and she gives a rooster crow, then I will have to rehome this chicken. We cannot keep roosters in my town.

I got them at a local family run farm "Jerrys Farm" on Eastern Long Island. My husband found the farm one day, and we have going there with great success for about 2 years now.

Again, thank you all. :D

After reading everyones responses, I would like to thank all of you for your help.

As far as "Rosalie" the mystery hen, after looking at both the Bielefelder and the Golden Cukoo Marans, I am inclined to say she is a Bielefelder based on her size.

Now onto "Contstance" the white cochin, I see what you mean about the saddle feathers, however when I went to look at them, they do appear rounded like my other hens have. If this one lays I guess that mystery will be solved, if not and she gives a rooster crow, then I will have to rehome this chicken. We cannot keep roosters in my town.

I got them at a local family run farm "Jerrys Farm" on Eastern Long Island. My husband found the farm one day, and we have going there with great success for about 2 years now.

Again, thank you all. :D

You're welcome! I would contact the place you purchased her from and ask about the breed since they are so rare :)

After looking into both breeds more it seems that if she isn't a Bielefelder, she is a mixed breed because Golden Cuckoo Marans don't have salmon colored breasts like she does and it is trait of the Bielefelder. The only problem is like corewasswen87 said, Bielefelders have yellow legs. Is Rosalie's legs a muted yellow color? Maybe if she wasn't fed a diet that includes corn, wasn't free ranged, or is an excellent layer, her legs could have faded or never had the yellow color. I have noticed that many chickens' yellow legs fade with age. How old is she? I included a picture of each breed for comparison.

After looking into both breeds more it seems that if she isn't a Bielefelder, she is a mixed breed because Golden Cuckoo Marans don't have salmon colored breasts like she does and it is trait of the Bielefelder. The only problem is like corewasswen87 said, Bielefelders have yellow legs. Is Rosalie's legs a muted yellow color? Maybe if she wasn't fed a diet that includes corn, wasn't free ranged, or is an excellent layer, her legs could have faded or never had the yellow color. I have noticed that many chickens' yellow legs fade with age. How old is she? I included a picture of each breed for comparison.
Corewassen87 is correct; Bielefelder's have yellow legs and Rosalie's legs are white like those of a Golden Cuckoo Marans which is why I pegged her as GCM. However the salmon breast is a good point which Rhodegar Lover has brought up. Rosalie may in fact just be a hatchery quality Bielefelder lacking the yellow legs required by the standards for the breed.

Back
Top Bottom