Just built an incubator!

BrodieG

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Today I built an incubator in about 2 hours. I purchased a hot water heater thermostat and a digital thermometer/humidity device. The rest of the supplies was from stuff I had around the house. It is nearly complete. Just needs a some wire screen on the bottem I think and a bowl of water. It will probalby need a little tweeking but I think it may work. I'll try to put up a picture.

Last edited:
I would like to see some pictures. By the way, did you place your thermostat with the metal side within 1 1/2 inches from the light bulb. I also recommend drilling holes into the thermostat.

Here is a video about drilling the holes into the thermostat.

I have done this to all of my water heater thermostats that I use in my incubators. I did this with my cooler incubator thermostat. Here is a link to my Cooler incubator page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-chick-factory-incubator

Hope this helps!

Its gonna need to be tweaked I think. Thanks for the info! I'm working on getting the pic up.

I took the lid off for the photo. I am testing it right now and it is around 95 degrees. It is supposed to be at 99 right?

I took the lid off for the photo. I am testing it right now and it is around 95 degrees. It is supposed to be at 99 right?

Yes, I am sorry to say this, but you made a mistake that many people make when using a water heater thermostat. The water heater thermostat detects radiant heat, not ambient heat. I see that you put your thermostat here, because this is on the side where the eggs are going to be, but you will get temperatures of about 94 to 105 with the thermostat in that placement.

To clear this up for you I will get you a video explaining why the water heater thermostat needs to be in such a placement.

There is the updated version. It is warming up for testing right now. The thing with the sticks is my prototype egg turning device. I will connect a stick through the side of the incubator to outside. This t way I can turn the eggs without opening the incubator. I will make it a little longer so it can handle more eggs and I will put the foam on the outside edges of the sticks instead of the center. Will 2 small plastic cups of water next to the light be enough for humidity?

Back
Top Bottom