Just candled my eggs

hit.gif
thanks. I have been trying so hard to make sure the eggs were ok. My last hatch didn't make it because the temp was too high.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Quote:
were these local eggs or shipped? i'd heard such horror stories with shipped eggs but that was the only way to get some of the ones i wanted. *knock on wood* i've got 17/21 dorking eggs growing, 12/14 EE's, and i think all of the marans (7 shipped, 2 smashed in shipping) are scrambled. i'm going to open one up later today and see... they're on day 9 so should be growing fast and they all look clear still. tho with the super dark shell i wanted to wait longer since i couldn't see blood vessels, but now the chick is darkenning the whole thing so you should tell by now...
oh and 8 of the 11 bantam eggs from my own chickens are growing well.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Hi

I have just looked a t the fantastic pictures on Pete55 post.
I have 6 duck egss incubating at the moment.
They have been in for 8 days.
2 of them look very good just like the pics in the post on day 7.5 8.5
On another 2 I see the veins but they look like day 5.5
The last 2 look like day 3 or 4.5 where the yolk is dark but I cant see veins.
Should I discard the 2 that just look like yolks?
What about the middle 2 that just seem a bit behind?

Thanks

Tony

Quote:
personally, i leave any questionable eggs in the 'bator until about day 10. then it's obvious if they're developing or not. but that's chicken eggs, don't know what incubation is for ducks. maybe add a day or 2. but pretty much by the time the chick shadows most of the egg, any clears are obvious. as for the ones lagging behind, i'd treat them the same until they either hatch or die... even tho all my eggs went in at the same time i'm seeing variation in how fast they're developing too, it looks like my dorkings are lagging a bit behind the EE's and the bantams are varying between them all.

Quote:
personally, i leave any questionable eggs in the 'bator until about day 10. then it's obvious if they're developing or not. but that's chicken eggs, don't know what incubation is for ducks. maybe add a day or 2. but pretty much by the time the chick shadows most of the egg, any clears are obvious. as for the ones lagging behind, i'd treat them the same until they either hatch or die... even tho all my eggs went in at the same time i'm seeing variation in how fast they're developing too, it looks like my dorkings are lagging a bit behind the EE's and the bantams are varying between them all.

I agree and wait until day 10, especially as you're seeing fertile eggs developing but I think the last 2 will be infertile. Sometimes the embryo is sitting in another position so they dont all look uniform. Just re-check that they're still growing in a few more days
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
you're seeing the yolk not air cell. the air cell is just an area at the end of the large end of the egg. if there's actually a spot in the air cell, no that's not a chick.

by 5 days you would see veins coming out from around the chick, and be able to see the eye developing too. pete55's pics are the best i've seen outside a textbook. mine are nowhere near as good, as my flashlight isn't that powerful, but here's a pic of a silver grey dorking egg that was shipped and is on day 8 now.

http://ki4got.com/byc/chicks/egg-d3-10.06.jpg

you can't see the eye on the photo, but it was more visible in person. that pic was taken on day 6...

edit: the air cells on all these eggs seems abnormally large, as they were badly scrambled in shipping, but *knock on wood* all but 2 of each shipment (21 dorking and 14 EE) are developing nicely. so go figure. #3 was the worst of the dorking eggs for air cell condition.
fl.gif

what are you using to candle?

Quote:
lol a large led flashlight, and that was a roll of teflon tape to keep the egg off the flashlight and funnel more light in the egg... yeah i know not the greatest way to do that. now i have the same flashlight, with a ferrite toroid sitting on top, and for smaller eggs i have a cardboard cutout with smaller hole... again not perfect but hey, use what you've got.

Now I am candling them and I see a dark end of the egg with a light bubble thingy moving around the dark end. Please does anyone know if thats what it is supposed to look like?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom