Just culled my first baby chick:(

Mmayhew

Chirping
Jun 6, 2011
I had a baby chick that fell ill when it was 8 days old. It seemed to loose all control of its body and looked like it had Parkinson Disease. After asking for advice I gave it poly-vi-ol for 4 days hoping it was a vitamin deficiency. However, it did not bounce back. I knew I needed to put it out of its pain when it could no longer sit up and its legs were unable to support the body. After much distress about how to actually end the baby chicks pain my husband and i decided the best way was to chop the head off for a quick end. Well... I cried so hard after it was finished and i am having a hard time having my first cull be a baby chick!!!! I know I did the right thing by putting it out of its misery but I still feel so guilt and bad about the whole thing. I am also a little relieved that we (my husband and I) were able to go through with it. I had doubts either one of us would be able to cull an older flock since we got out first pullet flock 2 years ago.

Any words of advice to easy the guilt?

You did it quickly and humanely.

The little chick had a short life, but it was lived with great love and caring. It also had a quick death, administered with loving hands and a soft heart. There should be no guilt in that.

You did the right and compassionate thing for your bird. Sometimes the kindest act is providing a swift and painless death.

My first one 2 years ago was just horrible for me. I hate to say it does get easier. Never fun. Never easy. But easier. I keep a pair of sharp garden clippers around for this very reason, and find that if I cover the head in paper towels, snip the neck quickly, and wrap the bird up, it's over quickly for the bird, and is not so traumatic on me.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but it's an important skill to learn, and one that you have to teach yourself.

Quote:
I completly agree!! You did what you had to do. There is no guilt in that!!
hugs.gif
though cause I know it's hard!!

I can only imagine how hard that was for you, I'm sorry. You did it from a caring and loving place in your heart and I am sure saved the chick a lot suffering.
Sending
hugs.gif

I have had to do the same thing twice in 2 weeks. Not fun, but merciful for the little suffering chicks.

I think that's the downside of being responsible for the well-being of another creature - you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

I've had to do this several times. It's never easy but it's always right. Thank you so much for not allowing the suffering to continue.

I'm so sorry you had to do that. I had to do it a few weeks ago myself. It was awful for me but quick and painless for the baby. Hopefully you can find some peace in knowing that you took away all pain and suffering for your baby.

Had to do this today myself. It's never easy especially when it is one that you worked hard on to give it a chance. You gave it the best life you could and ended that life in the most humane way you could. Take care. Here's a
hugs.gif
for you.

Back
Top Bottom