Just Curious - What Breed is My Hen?

kschickenlady

Hatching
Jun 26, 2023
Northeast Kansas
Hi! I’m hoping someone can help ID what kind of hen my girl Karen is. She’s great, but since I don’t think she’s what I ordered, I’m just sort of curious what chick I might’ve gotten by mistake. Or if she’s some sort of accidental hybrid?

Background info:
I ordered ten sexed pullet chicks from a hatchery and received them in February. An assortment of different breeds, including amongst others 2 Americaunas, 2 RIR, and 1 speckled Sussex (this is important later). When I received them, 1 RIR and 1 black chick (I’m assuming a Americauna, as I didn’t order anything else that should’ve been black w clean legs) were DOA. The other chicks were healthy and for the most part easily recognizable - my Buff Orpington, SLW, Black Copper Maran, RIR, etc all stood out. There were 3 brownish chicks that I wasn’t 100% sure who was what specific breed, but I could easily differentiate them as they looked different enough.

Anyways. Fast forward and the surviving RIR and Americauna grow up just fine and to match their breeds. The other brown chick grew into my Barnevelder. Then there’s Karen - when she was a chick, I assumed she was my Speckled Sussex. But the more they grew, I quickly realized my SS wasn’t in the bunch. So anyways, she’s my mystery hen!

I’m just kind of curious - what do you think she is? She just started laying and lays very light brown, sometimes lightly speckled eggs.
She’s the one in the very front on the left. I do think she looks similar to the Americauna, but the single comb and bright yellow legs throw me off.
Any thoughts?!

Attachments

• IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    777.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4558.png
    IMG_4558.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 41
She does look like a Welsummer…mine don’t lay super dark eggs either, so that would be my best guess.
Thanks all for the replies! After looking it up, I think you’re right. Her eggs have light brown speckles instead of dark, but she sure looks a lot like a Wellsummer.

What’s interesting is I looked back on the hatchery site and they don’t sell Wellsummer chicks! They do state their Olive Eggers are F1’s crossed from Wellsummers, Americanas, and Black Copper Marans. I wonder if that somehow produced a pure Wellsummer? I’ve also read a lot of hatchery “Americanas” are closer to Easter Eggers and crossbred as well, so maybe that’s how she came to be? I’d love to know.

Thanks everyone for satisfying my curiosity :D

Back
Top Bottom