Just got 2 Rhode Island Red chicks, but do I have a mix? some pics

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Hello
frow.gif

I got 2 Rhode Island Red chicks and they were soooo good. Thanks to all your help!
wee.gif

11122007001.jpg

11122007004.jpg

12122007.jpg

11122007021.jpg

But! I noticed something different; I think one of my RIR's is crossed with a cornish. I said it cannot be because that means it will EAT and POOP, like, every minute! The other one looks pure, though. Let us see some of my blurry pics:

Mixed with a cornish?:

This one is a little bigger than the other pure breed. Her "fur" is bald-looking, a bit aggressive, eats and poops a lot, noisy, messy, and sometimes hurt the other one. All these characteristics are the same as my previous cornishes. When I carry her she struggles very much. She is brown, though.

12122007004.jpg

12122007003.jpg

12122007002.jpg

11122007005.jpg

When we bought them at the store I can clearly see some mixed breeds in the cage; brown with a mix of yellow.....etc

Pure breed RIR:

This little one is smaller than the mixed breed. She is cuter. She is fluffier. She is friendlier and tamer than the cornish. Doesn't eat and poop as much as the cornish do. She doesn't struggle much when I carry her. Her eyes are different and better than the cornish. She looks very young and always follows the other one, but the other one always hurts her.
hit.gif

12122007007.jpg

12122007006.jpg

12122007005.jpg

11122007007.jpg

Her eyes are the same as this chick's at feathersite.com, as well as the other characteristics.
RIRChikLawn.jpg

Can you confirm if the other one is indeed a mix?

Thanks in advance!
jumpy.gif

Oh and the position of the light bulb in the brooder is temporary; we'll place it on a corner soon.

Last edited:
The brown ones you saw at the store were probably the rhode island reds. The ones you have look like buff orpington, but I guess they could be something else since lots of chicks look similar. They definitely don't look cornish to me.

Jody

your RIRs don't look a whole lot like mine did - yours are much "blonder" (mine being more "strawberry blonde")... but who knows? There could be a big variation. Here are pics of mine as she developed, in case it helps...

two days old:
ChickensSeptember2007006.jpg

two days old:
ChickensSeptember2007013.jpg

about a week old:
Chickens10-3006.jpg

about three weeks:
ChickensOctober2007038.jpg

almost two months old:
IMG_4177.jpg

and now, at 2 1/2 months:
IMG_4393.jpg

(isn't she pretty?)

I hope yours are RIRs, and just a bit lighter as chicks than mine is. Good luck with your adventure! Oh - and I love your brooder box!

Oh God I am getting confused!!!

Are my chicks orpingtons, or RIR's? WHich is whiCH? WAAAAH!
barnie.gif

Oh God I am getting confused!!!

Are my chicks orpingtons, or RIR's? WHich is whiCH? WAAAAH!
barnie.gif

They're not RIR for sure. Rhode Island Reds are unmistakably RED at hatch. They could be New Hampshire Red, which start out life as strawberry blondes. Could also be buff Orpingtons, white or buff Rocks, or some others.

Feed stores are not known for selling actual Rhode Island Reds. They are most usually Production Reds, which is a hybrid bird (not a breed) that has been bred from RIR and NHR. They tend to be much lighter in color than actual RIR and lack the distinctive "brick" body shape of a true RIR. If I hadn't sold my Production Reds I'd have run out to take a photo of the difference between a Production Red chick and a Rhode Island Red chick. The differences are marked when you have two to compare. However, even Production Reds are red at hatch, not blonde like your babies.

What color are the feathers that are coming in on the wings? I can't tell in that red brooder light.

I doubt you have any mixed breeds. I expect that you have hatchery quality chicks of some breed or hybrid. Wait until they are--older 8+ weeks--and post photos again. We'll have a much easier time IDing them then. So many chicks look identical at this age. I know it's hard, but you'll have to wait.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom