Just got 31 new baby chicks!

tangodiva

In the Brooder
May 17, 2023
I am brand new to chicken, but I have raised a duck flock for the last two years. I love them and decided to try chickens. I just received 31 new chicks. They are one week old. I did lose 2 on Monday, as much as I tried, so I am down to 29. Most of mine I received mail order from Murray McMurray (17, all female, hopefully). I also drove 3 hours each way to pick up some Black Copper Marans, Blue Copper Marans, Olive Eggers and Isabel Ameraucanas. They were straight-run only and I have already found homes for any potential roos, as they are not allowed where I live. My mail order consists of Whiting True Blues, Whiting True Green, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Cuckoo Maran, Salmon Favarolle, which I lost :-( , Black Jersey Giant, Australop, Buff Laced Polish, Golden Polish and Buff Brahma. I was going for calm temperament, colorful eggs and beautiful unique feathers and colors. I also got some new ducklings and decided to get a pair of goslings as guard birds, since I lost one of our ducks to a hawk a few weeks back. My office is filled with two huge dog crates of my new babies! I love it!

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, but I have a baby who has a protrusion/sore on her rear that the other chicks are brutally pecking at. I've got her in "solitary" inside the crate so they can't get at her, but she can be with them. She also has constant pasty vent, which I am taking care of. Does anybody know what this is and how to treat it, so I can get her safely back with the others?

Attachments

• Sore II.jpeg
    Sore II.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Sore.jpeg
    Sore.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom