Just got my chickens last week. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

kyckling66

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Prairieville, LA
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the whole chicken thing. I've been reading and trying to get as much information as possible to make sure I don't turn out to be a huge failure as a chicken-momma. My husband and I bought a house a year ago that had an old coop out back, and I spent the better part of the last two weeks renovating it. I've got the pullets in place (there are 6) and I'm already a bit obsessed. My husband keeps telling me "they are just chickens" but I'm already completely attached. I look forward to getting advice from all of you.

I am somewhat attached to my chickens. I would advise you to not get very attached to them whether they are killed by predators or your husband decides to eat one.
Feeding the chickens correctly and making sure the coop has no drafts are going to be your biggest challenges. And instead of paying for hay, you could just use grass clippings.

Congrats on your new chickens. All us of here understand your attachment to your new chickens. My hubby didn't mind chickens when we first got them but now he is as attached as me . :welcome

Last edited:
I don't think your DH will be able to help but like them. They have so much personality. Nothing like working on something and having the girls come around and ask "Hey, whacha doin??"

Have him put some Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) in his hand and squat down by the girls then put his hand out palm up. He'll have friends for life (theirs, not his
wink.png
)

welcome-byc.gif

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom