Just got my chicks.

skw9

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 27, 2017
Pembroke, Georgia, USA
My Coop
My Coop
I am a stay-at-home mom. My husband and I have 9 children. My oldest child is recently married. She and her husband live in another house on our property and are expecting their first child. I homeschool our other 8 children ranging in age from 4 to 18. We have 13 acres and I just acquired 10 chicks from our local feed store. We also have 3 dogs and 5 adult cats. One of our cats had 5 kittens just 5 days before we got our 2-day-old chicks. I put off getting chickens for a long time, because I am so busy already and I just couldn't imagine adding this chore to my already long list. We have a limited budget and our coop (which was here when we bought our property 8 years ago needed extensive repairs since hurricane Matthew. About 2 months ago a chicken appeared on our doorstep. It was about 5 weeks old we estimate. We keep the chicken outside, but have allowed it to roost on a bar for hanging clothes in my laundry room. I decided this was a sign that I should stop procrastinating and go ahead and get my chicks that I have wanted for so long!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
So glad you joined us! What breeds do you have?

Welcome to BYC...be sure to check out the Learning Center...good luck with your flock!

G’Day from down under skw9
frow.gif
Welcome!

Yep, definitely a sign and thank you for sharing a great story.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Welcome to BYC

Having chicks will be so much fun for you as well as the kids. Just have them wash their hands before and after they touch them. Also for your brooder make sure you get a lid made if your going to have them in the house instead of outside. They grow up so fast and in 2 to 3 weeks old they try out their wings. So you want to protect the chicks and they kids.

Back
Top Bottom