Just got my first ducks

tripletmumm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Hood River, Oregon
Decided I wanted to add duck eggs to my egg production. I heard the Khaki's were the best for egg production, but the farm store didn't have any. So I ended up with 2 buff Orphingtons and a Rouen (although I suspect it is actually a Cayuga. It is all black with just a touch of yellow on his belly.)

This is my first time raising ducks and would appreciate any advice. The farm store said I can raise them right along with the hens, but that was all they said. Is there a duck feed I need to give them when they get older or is layer pellets for hens fine? Do they need any additonal supplements? Do they lay eggs on the ground or in a nesting box? At what age do they start laying? Of my two buffs, one has a darker head, is that an indication that it is a drake? Any idea of quantity of eggs per week?

Any info even what I did not put here, anything that would be helpful would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!
big_smile.png

Cayuga's have no yellow at all and yes if the buffs head are black that indiacates a drake but you can feed them Cracked corn and chicken feed will be fine laying feed and oyster shells are appropriate for strong hardy eggs they will both start layin around 5-6 month maybe a little younger even... you can just put some straw down in the coop or wherever your keeping them then they will make there own nest but they will either need straw hay pine shaving.Etc.... just something warm and cozy they will do the rest if you have two females you will be gettin around 4 eggs per day (2 per duck) so you will be getting 28 aproximate eggs per week may varie on the way the duck is raised and handled but yes ducks are actually easier to raise than chickens because of there stocky muscular build and the eggs are a bit bigger than chickens so you won't need alot but yes that is what you will need hoped that helped enjoy your new Ducks
big_smile.png

15,chickens, 2 mallard ducks, 2 White pekin ducks, 1 Black Swedish duck, 2 chow dogs, 1 Teacup chihauhau
big_smile.png

You will not get 2 eggs a day from a duck. It takes a full day for them to produce a new egg at best.

Yes, that is not a Rouen, it is likely a Cayuga that isn't well marked. They are supposed to be solid black. A Rouen will be brown with a stripey head and is a large meat breed. It could also be a black Swede that isn't well marked, they are solid with a bib. Or just a cross/oops.

How old are they? If they are day olds or quite young, the head color won't mean much. After 5 weeks or so, you can start to tell, but even then the voice will tell you more than the color.

Baby ducks are tougher than chicks. If quite young they will want a source of heat, but also a way to get away from it if they are too hot. They need water they can dip their heads in to clear their bills when they eat - they can choke. If it is hot out, they can have a pan (a clean cat litter tray for little ones works well) of water to wade and splash in. Be sure they can get out and don't get water logged. They will be messy in their water and need to have their bedding changed more than chickens. Be careful of chilling if they are wading.

They can eat the same thing as chickens with a couple of changes... 1) They shouldn't have the antibiotic type medicated feed, better to feed a poultry started without any medications. 2) They need more niacin than chicks as they grow, or they will have niacin deficiencies, such as weak, wobbly legs and staggering around. I feed brewer's yeast added to the grower ration for that. When they are grown, the hens will be fine on a layer ration for chickens, the drakes will be ok, but better if on straight poultry feed, such as Flockraiser. I keep oyster shell on hand for calcium free choice.

Adult ducks like a kiddie wading pool for splashing around in. It will need to be cleaned regularly. In the winter I provide small contractors tubs (they are for mixing concrete) for bathing on the nicer days (its really cold here), because I can dump them easily and refill the next day. If they bathe regularly, their feathers will be healthier and their eyes won't be as likely to get crusty. Ducks tend to be weaker in the legs than chickens, don't pick them up by the legs, but hold the base of the neck and slide a hand under their chest, being sure to get the wings gently folded in too. Ducks don't normally care to be picked up, but do love treats and can get pretty tame with very gentle handling and goodies. Ducks tend to herd - under pressure to move, they will come together and allow themsevles to be herded, unlike chickens which scatter.

There's some notes on ducks!
smile.png

You are actually wrong i have two white pekin ducks and both of them with love and care lay two eggs a day and my mallards will sometimes too

And cayuga Do not have any Yellow i have three and neither have yellow there solid black with a greenish tint

AnDrEw&Cole :

You are actually wrong i have two white pekin ducks and both of them with love and care lay two eggs a day and my mallards will sometimes too

AnDrEw&Cole :

And cayuga Do not have any Yellow i have three and neither have yellow there solid black with a greenish tint

Everyone's ducks are different. Not everyones duck may lay 2 eggs a day. It is normally just one. As for cayuga's being all black, yes that is the standard of the breed but there are lower qualities of ducks and it could possibly have yellow on it and still be a cayuga. Could possibly even be a mix but who knows? Things are not set in stone when it comes to the rules of ducks or anything for that matter. Not being mean or saying you are wrong about anything just trying to give you a different view.​

I understand now i thought you were sayin that all of the cayuga have yellow and you are right about the not set in stone lol i had a mallard with orange coloration behind his neck and he was pure because i had his mom and dad and they were both mallard.. soory for the inconvienince

I agree that Cayuga are not supposed to have white on their bellies, but things happen.
smile.png

As for two eggs a day, that is very unusual in ducks. Normally they lay only one and that would be the proper expectation for a new owner. I'd say you'd normally expect 3 eggs over 2 days for breeds that don't lay heavily, such as Rouens (which were bred for meat purposes primarily). In the years I've had ducks, I may have had one lay two eggs in 24 hours, but I suspect she just hid one for a day, they can be quite clever at that. So, my experience is different than yours.

I just saw a picture of a black indian runner and I'm pretty sure that is the black one I got. The all over black duckling with a touch of yellow on it's chest is really close to what I have. One thing I read said they were great layers, and another one said that the "great layers" have been bred out of them. Anyone else have experience with them?

In your experience, what is the best egg layer?

Back
Top Bottom