Just got my order from Ideal: NOT GOOD!!!

I order from them all the time with little to no trouble, but I have lost 10 of 18 chicks from last weeks order. Some were very very small, in comparison to the normal bantam. Anyone else recieving smaller chicks?

I received my order of mixed straight run bantams on August 13th. The order came from Ideal. This is my first online order, ever. I ordered 26 and received 27. One died within an hour of taking them out of the box. I have lost 4 more or a total of 5 in 4 days. It is extremely hot here in southeast Georgia. The heat index exceeds 100 degrees every day and the temperature about 92 to 98. I have a thermometer in the brooder. It usually stays about 90 to 93 degrees. I thought about contacting Ideal Poultry, but am waiting till the chicks quit dying. I know they guarantee light delivery and I did receive all live chicks. I wonder if they will replace the lost chicks under the circumstances.

You've got to remember that the hatchery is not always at fault. Our postal service has a lot to be desired when it comes to handling packages regardless if live chicks or otherwise. The postal service really likes to blame the hatchery but Murray Mc Murray has been shipping chicks thru the mail for over 70 years and until resently have not had as many problems as they do now.
The hatchery usually will give you credit or sometimes a refund, But always remember that they are not always at fault.

I just picked up my Ideal chicks from the post office and so far so good. All 15 alive and chirping. Got them in the brooder, dipped there beaks in sugar water, sprinkled chick starter all over the towels on the bottom and am waiting...

I got 5 light brahmas, 5 buff orphingtons and 5 EE pullets...

With the heat and coming from Texas, I was expecting fried chicken.. Glad I didnt get that.. Id be in tears.

We've recieved one order from Ideal at the end of July, and have another coming in next week. First batch was healthy and very lively when I picked them up
big_smile.png

It could be the stress of shipping, as one never knows how they're handled once they leave the Hatchery, or the temps from truck to truck, etc...

Glad Ideal was able to set things right for you
smile.png

Quote:
How were they? I'm expecting a shipment of Silkies on 8/27.

I haven't gotten them yet. I get mine next week on the 27th also so we will have to compare.
wink.png

My first order from Ideal, received in June, had some issues. One of my silkies died on the 4th day of having them. My Buff Orphington had a twisted neck and seemed to walk in circles. (She's now doing better) And the rest seemed to have a problem with their poop balling up and sticking to their butts. All are doing great now.

I got my 2nd batch on the 12th of this month and all 7 were alive, including the 8 extra males that were included. (I had forgot to mention that I didn't want those) 3 out of my 7 were bantys and they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom