Just slaughtered my first chicken. Sad :(

OrganicVanek

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
We have (had) 23 girls for eggs and are planning on getting some meat birds this fall - so slaughtering a chicken isn't something I've been opposed to. But this was unplanned. One of my girls got attacked (by what, I don't know) and she had a huge gaping wound that was bleeding profusely from her neck. I decided to end her pain - but I keep second guessing myself. What if it wasn't really as bad as it looked and she could've been saved? What if I didn't do it right and she suffered through me cutting her neck further? I'm in tears. This is not how I wanted to do this. I just hope I didn't take her life for nothing :( Thanks for letting me cry on your digital shoulder.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know it must be very hard. In the end know you did what you think was best for her. That is all we can do. In the mean time, big hugs!
hugs.gif

You did what you thought was best and ended her suffering. You are only human so it is ok to feel emotional about this.
hugs.gif

With a wound like that I'm willing to bet she hardly felt the one that did her in.
Probably even less pain than when she tried to move.

What you did was make the suffering so much shorter and put her to good use feeding those who loved and *nurtured her instead of some random vicious predator.
I'm sure that your chicken is much happier about that.

Do what we must as humanely as possible then respect the life that has to be used to nourish us.
Its a tough choice but one well worth it to raise and process the food we need every day.

You'll never get used to it, but with respect it gets better.
Do some research or reading about Native Americans and their relationship with food and hunting. Helps a lot.

Last edited:
I agree, from what you're describing she was probably in shock and didn't feel what you did. I'm a big proponent of giving mercy to wounded animals and kudos to you for doing that. I think often folks try to drag out treatment of a severely wounded animal not for the animal's sake but for their own, cause they just don't have the guts to do what you did. Sounds like you gave your bird the best treatment possible. There are much worse things, IMO, than a humane death.

Sounds like you were a friend all the way. As someone who has had to put down their best friend in the world more than once, I can tell you, it never gets easy. This is a good thing.

I love my animals and try my best every day to give them a healthy and happy life as long as I can. As soon as I am unable to provide my friends with the quality of life they deserve, I need to fall back on my obligations as a animal lover and owner. We do what we feel is best for our friends. We make the difficult decisions we have to for the betterment of our friends.

Don't second guess yourself. You did what you assessed as the best course of action at the time. You were the friend your animal deserved and would want. You aren't wasting your chicken and you aren't desecrating the animal. The circle of life is a reality as civilized as we become.

Love yourself like your friend would want you to.

Back
Top Bottom