Just some thoughts from my past year of chicken owning....

newchik715

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Washington
When i brought the chicks home I was so concerned some of them would not survive through the first week. I watched them like a hawk...poor choice of words I know. There were six of them and they all survived to go outside into the big coop and I worried they would be too cold and they would die. When I let them out to free range I was worried a big bird would swoop down and eat them up. When they laid their first eggs the egg song made me worry they were being killed. When the first two went missing I worried they were dead and when Buffy returned home with open wounds everywhere I worried she would not recover. And when the other birds killed her I worried I could never look at them the same again.

Now I have four new babies and four big girls. I still worry but this last year has taught me much on what I am capable of. I am capable of taking tiny little birds that fit in the palm of my hand and raising them up strong. I am capable of loving them as you would any pet or family member and I am capable of admitting how much it hurts to lose them...even if they are just chickens. I am capable of moving on and yet never forgetting the lesson. I did not know these things about myself until I let 6 little peepers into my home and into my heart for the first time.

R.I.P. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (B.O.) and Ord the Easter Egger.

celebrate.gif
ya.gif

Quote:
Kudos to you for the realizations and the post about them. I have experienced similar ups and downs, both quite recently.

Plus, I have a Buffy the Vampire Slayer, too - she hatched out my very first GrandChick.

Very nice post newchik715
thumbsup.gif

It made me smile, especially "When they laid their first eggs the egg song made me worry they were being killed"

lol gryeyes, grandchicks!!!!!! It never crossed my mind that i am a grandfather already, thanks

Very nice newchik715!!! Excellent observations...thanks for sharing. I started last summer with twelve 4-month old pullets, and I now have 10. Lost one to a darn coyote and one just fell over dead only about 2 weeks after I got her. Ups and downs for sure. I will be ordering my first chicks soon...getting excited to see what I am capable of!
smile.png
Amazing what a chicken can teach you about yourself isn't it?
D.gif

I have no illusions that my chickens "love me," but I think I love them.

from the Chicken Book, 1975: "You are not keeping them, of course, to make or even to save money. you are not keeping them as pets.You are keeping them for the simple pleasure of their company and the beauty and tastiness of their eggs and their meat. you are raising them because you wish to strike a modest blow for the liberation of the chicken and indeed of all things living on earth."

...and to think, my chicken taught me that. Thanks for posting! It is amazing what raising chickens for the last three years has taught us not only about chickens but about ourselves. I read everything I could find on chickens before we got them and I worried too, but I have never ever regreted the decision to keep chickens not for one moment. They have given us eggs, joy and taught my daughter about responsability as well as kindness. I can't imagine us without our chickens.

Great post! I got 3 goats 4 years ago and 12 chickens last year. I have been there with the worrying and know exactly what you're saying.
clap.gif

I haven't lost any of my critters yet, although I had a pretty sick goat a couple years ago. I dread when the day comes, as it must, when I'll lose one. That'll be a bad day. But 'til then I have learned an immense amount from them and thank God every day for their presence in my life!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom