Just starting out again.

Callous

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
Washington State
Hi, I’m a newbie here and even though I was brought upon a small farm with chickens, pigs, sheep, milk cows and from time to time a horse, I really haven’t been involved with any livestock since the mid 1960’s.
I’m currently retired or at least trying to be, we have 5 acres + or – depending on our year round creek on the backside of the property. My wife and I have decided to build a chicken coop and start rising a few chickens. We are mostly interested in good quality laying hens that are also sociable with other breeds and with the grandchildren.
We have been looking into the Araucanas/Americanas rainbow hens along with the brown leghorns. I have started my 8’ X 8’ raised chicken coop plus an additional 12’ run. Living in the Pacific Northwest we have raccoon's and opossums so I’m taking extra precaution on the fencing both below and above ground.
We also are going to try and feed all organic food. I’m sure I’ll have questions from time to time.

Greetings from Kansas, Callous, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck with your critters and your retirement!

welcome-byc.gif
rule of thumb is 4 square feet per bird in coop, and 10 square feet per bird in outdoor run. It's a good idea to build larger than you expect to use because chicken addiction hits hard and fast and before you know it you will want to add different breeds or try hatching eggs yourself .

We have been planning on only 6 to 10 birds so I designed it to go up to 12 to 16. If I get any bigger than that I’m going to have to expand later and I really think I can keep my family in eggs with 10 birds if i can can get good layers.

Back
Top Bottom