Just starting out.....

M0ndexM0mma

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2015
Daytona Florida
Everything is in it's infancy.....Recently, Bought a lot of land.....1.5 acres in Flaglar County Fl. going to live the country girl life I was accustomed to when I was growing up. Growing up....Originally it was in the Rome/Utica NY area. spent most of my summers on my uncle's small farm aka Outback Jack lol!. There, he had a giant garden, many chickens...the infamous Easter Egg chickens, guinea hens, peacocks, a few cows and pigs, rabbits, and several barn cats. I remember sleeping in the hay loft, feeding the animals riding and milking the cow swimming in the creek and the most memorable experience looking for the eggs from the chickens. We would find the nests and replace old eggs with golf balls then go back and there after check the nest for fresh eggs.

Later on in life Moved to Loxahatchee Fl. when it was nothing but dirt roads and tropical woods. I mean dirt roads....12 miles off of paved roads. I loved it out there. I had the opportunity to see wild panther cross the back yard. wild bore with her babies, a brood of endangered owls hang out on my wires, and many other wonderful wildlife experiences.

through the years of work I was vet tech, a flight attendant, a NYS tax consultant, CNA, and owner of my own familychild daycare. Now I am no longer working.

I have the opportunity of getting back to the country and right now our property is field fenced in and cleared. Going to bush hog it this coming month and putting a mobile home on it. Getting back to basics and living the simple uncomplicated life. Growing a big garden and going to attempt the venture of raising chickens and probably a few other critters. Although I had "fun" on my uncle's farm I did not learn the basics of raising chickens. So I am walking into all this clueless. Doing my research and talking to a few people that already have chickens but it is just the vision so far.

Got many questions....... How many chickens, chicken coop, diet, health and their counter parts ie... barn yard dog, other fowl to assist in tick reduction and other infestations I need to be aware of. All of this for fresh eggs! lol! I am sure this will be an enjoyable hobby bringing back memories of my childhood.

So here I am....a blank slate......

Call me Mondex Moyer LOL!

HI, welcome to BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Sounds like you had a great childhood summers!

Welcome to the flock!

I am very sure that you will find answers to almost every chicken related question you have. I really love the coops which are shown here, as they are so inspiring.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Welcome to the flock. you may like some guineas as well - they are a great alarm system (whether warranted or not) and famous for tick eradication. I don't know so much about the other critters, and sometimes the "barn yard" dog ends up eating most of the poultry.
barnie.gif
But. other than that, think you will love your chickens. and your new way of life.

Back
Top Bottom