Just thinking about chickens…

Welcome to Backyard chickens. go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum - then locate and post on your state thread. You'll probably get the best answers from other who raise chickens in your area. Which breeds handle the climate, what type of modifications to make in coop and runs., etc.
<snap> Now why didn't I think of that! You are always on it, Diva!
wink.png

Yes, I've heard there are several types to choose from, but which breeds will thrive in both heat and cold environs?

I researched for about a year before I finally decided on the breed I wanted, which was Buckeyes. They are wonderful birds, but they can be a little hard to get. Mine are calm and friendly and my roo is a big handsome guy that isn't aggressive. They are very cold hardy and handle the heat well also. They are dual purpose birds so they are good for meat and eggs. Their eggs aren't huge, but they are between a medium to large size. The girls lay just about every day consistently. I love my Buckeyes and will be raising them for many years to come.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. I would recommend Australorps where you live which are extremely hardy chickens in both cold and heat (not surprising since they are commonly raised in the Australian outback where it gets very hot in the summer). I've raised them where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more) and while my other dual purpose breeds were listless, panting, and holding their wings out from their sides, my Australorps were going about their usual business like troopers. I've also raised them where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and with a dry, draft free, yet well ventilated coop to prevent moisture from building up in the coop, they did just fine (feathers are a wonderful insulation and moisture is a much greater enemy than cold). In addition Australorps are very calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've still had some of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

We're in South Texas. I have Dominique's, Buff Orphington's, New Hampshire Reds, a couple crazy Easter Eggers and an Austrolope. They did very well in the heat and cold. Cochins don't do well in the heat . We did have to add a couple fans around the cage in the dead of summer and a heat lamp for those days it gets in the 20-30. We also have our cage closed around their perch area In addition , when designing your cage try to put their sleeping area on the end that won't take the direct wind . For us we have to keep the girls out of the north wind .

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. I would recommend Australorps where you live which are extremely hardy chickens in both cold and heat (not surprising since they are commonly raised in the Australian outback where it gets very hot in the summer). I've raised them where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more) and while my other dual purpose breeds were listless, panting, and holding their wings out from their sides, my Australorps were going about their usual business like troopers. I've also raised them where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and with a dry, draft free, yet well ventilated coop to prevent moisture from building up in the coop, they did just fine (feathers are a wonderful insulation and moisture is a much greater enemy than cold). In addition Australorps are very calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've still had some of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.
Thank you! I am interested in both meat and egg production, however I'm going to start off small and focus on just egg production when I get started, and the Australorps sound perfect! From everything I've read, I need to stick to one breed, and not "mix and match." Now, to find out where to buy them. Tips? :)

Last edited:

I do love my australorps. They are so gentle. I have one named snowflake that has 3 toes on each foot. We rescued her from some people that weren't exactly chicken people.
1f414.png

Thank you! I am interested in both meat and egg production, however I'm going to start off small and focus on just egg production when I get started, and the Australorps sound perfect! From everything I've read, I need to stick to one breed, and not "mix and match." Now, to find out where to buy them. Tips? :)

I've gotten Australorps from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX, on several occasions and have been happy with their birds and service.

Back
Top Bottom