Just when you think you have everything under control......

What a sassy girl! My girls do that any time they find something tasty that they don't want to share: snails, lizards, worms, frogs, big bugs...
Yes, mine do too. Even just 1 grape or blueberry causes immediate mass pandemonium & the great race/chase is on! I've seen several chickens simultaneously doing burnouts, kicking dirt up, 'cause they couldn't get traction to get going fast enough to Chase! 😆

I just ran across this tread. Too funny!! I had my girls out today and they found a toad in the old leaves under some trees. I never saw anything so funny, oh the mayham! I wish I could have recorded it. Felt kinda sorry for the toad but it didn't suffer, it was dead about a half a second after they spotted it. I'm really glad chickens are so small, they're kind of scary in a way. I keep thinking of jurassic park and the raptors. LOL!

I know this was an old thread, but I feel this in my bones today.
... I have most of my chickens trained to come inside the chicken run for treats, as I let them free range, and it's a lot easier to buy spinach and meal worms than it is to chase chickens.
I have a group of teenage australorps that haven't quite figured out to come inside the chicken run to get the treats.
I had a teenager helping my herd chickens today, and as is typical when a teenager gets frustrated, thought goes out the window... And the birds are also teenagers. So.... That was a fun 40 minutes.
I feel like I need to record "their brains are as big as your thumb, please go slow and be calm" and just play it on a loop next time.

I was happily going about my chicken chores today. I left everyone out of the run to free range while I cleaned and filled waterer and feeder. (I've only been free ranging under supervision due to the increase in hawks later and even that makes me a little nervous). I can usually call them back easily when the wander too far. Today....all came back but one, Pickle. She's my head hen. I didn't worry to much I was right there and Stormy, my rooster, does a good job of keeping everyone together. When I finished, I sat in one of the chairs watching them scratch through the fallen leaves and just enjoying the quiet. ( My kids were inside, staying far away from me because I was doing "work" and they fear I might make them help. Lol) Once quiet time was up, I call my flock over and again all came except one.... Pickle. I put everyone else in the run, and focused on getting Pickle back in too. Stormy is fired up that he's missing a girl. Pickle takes off like a toddler with something they shouldn't have around the other side of the run. I'm literally play ring around the run with this hen. I'm shaking the bag of her favorite mealworms.... nothing. I'm standing still with a handful of the mealworms...nothing. She just keeps taking off like a track star. I'm frustrated and yelling her name hoping she will come to her senses. I finally knock over some chairs to block her and get her cornered. I pick her up and put her back in the run. So what did I learn in all of this. First, when dealing with any animal, you are never in total control. Second, hens are toddler track stars. And thirdly, it is VERY possible to yell Pickle in an angry tone. And here's a picture of Pickle.....for reference purposes.
Pickle is such a cute bird. I'm glad you finally found her!

I know this was an old thread, but I feel this in my bones today.
... I have most of my chickens trained to come inside the chicken run for treats, as I let them free range, and it's a lot easier to buy spinach and meal worms than it is to chase chickens.
I have a group of teenage australorps that haven't quite figured out to come inside the chicken run to get the treats.
I had a teenager helping my herd chickens today, and as is typical when a teenager gets frustrated, thought goes out the window... And the birds are also teenagers. So.... That was a fun 40 minutes.
I feel like I need to record "their brains are as big as your thumb, please go slow and be calm" and just play it on a loop next time.
Funny. Don't believe I have even ONE stupid chicken! When having trouble with them, my husband conveniently tells me that I must be smarter than the chickens! On those nights, he gets chicken soup for dinner!:D

Funny. Don't believe I have even ONE stupid chicken! When having trouble with them, my husband conveniently tells me that I must be smarter than the chickens! On those nights, he gets chicken soup for dinner!:D
Let me clarify that. It's NOT chicken soup from my chickens! Mine are just for laying....eventually. My oldest ones are barely 4 months old. We don't eat our chickens. They're like our babies!

I went 21 rounds tonight with a big white yearling Rooster that doesn't seem to know when he is out gunned. I let him out of a quarantine cage tonight and he was spoiling for a fight. All the roosters in the coop backed off and let me handle him. He ran at me 21 times and went down in defeat 21 times. I was not wanting to kill him so he went back into the quarantine dog crate until tomorrow night. Then we will see if he wants to sample anymore of me. The results will not change unless he learns a lesson. 21 rounds tomorrow night and back in the crate he goes. I will break him. I made a promise I intend on keeping. If I was mean I would just let the 8 big Delaware boys take care of him in the coop with him.

Back
Top Bottom