Kalmbach feed - getting soft eggs

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
I changed from Reedy Fork Farm feed because it's tough to get. Got some Kalmbach Organic 17% Layer Crumbles Chicken Feed which they love. A couple of my good layers are dropping eggs from the perch and laying soft eggs now. The calcium is 3.5% - 4.5% listed on the bag. I put oyster shells out too but they don't really eat them. Is there something I need to add to their feed to help? I can give calcium citrate with D3, but I want to make sure they're food is giving them what they need too. I also have a rooster that eats with them, so I don't know how much they can have.

I ground up egg shells and added to their feed yesterday but I'm not sure that's going to be enough. I could do that regularly though while they're laying. Can I grind the oyster shells in a coffee grinder since they're not eating the crumbled one? I think the little rocks are too big. I will buy some flake, but for the time being I need to give them something they will eat.

They free range during the day and we give them fruit as treats along with tomatoes, kale and anything else we have in the garden.

Last edited:
I give my girls both oyster shell and crushed up egg shells. Sometimes they seem to like one better than the other.
I also have a rooster that eats with them, so I don't know how much they can have.
Your rooster doesn't need the calcium in layer feed. Over the long term, it can cause health problems. Can you switch to Kalmbach's Flock Maker? I have 5 pullets, 5 hens, and a rooster, and they all do well on that.

I give my girls both oyster shell and crushed up egg shells. Sometimes they seem to like one better than the other.

Your rooster doesn't need the calcium in layer feed. Over the long term, it can cause health problems. Can you switch to Kalmbach's Flock Maker? I have 5 pullets, 5 hens, and a rooster, and they all do well on that.
I have three bags of the kalmbach organic layer feed. I guess I should have gotten the flock feed since I have a rooster? They're eggs were soft so I was concerned they weren't getting enough but now they're normal again. It could have been stress from a broody hen that is almost back to normal.

I have three bags of the kalmbach organic layer feed. I guess I should have gotten the flock feed since I have a rooster? They're eggs were soft so I was concerned they weren't getting enough but now they're normal again. It could have been stress from a broody hen that is almost back to normal.
Just finish off the bags, it won't hurt him for a bit

I changed from Reedy Fork Farm feed because it's tough to get. Got some Kalmbach Organic 17% Layer Crumbles Chicken Feed which they love. A couple of my good layers are dropping eggs from the perch and laying soft eggs now. The calcium is 3.5% - 4.5% listed on the bag. I put oyster shells out too but they don't really eat them. Is there something I need to add to their feed to help? I can give calcium citrate with D3, but I want to make sure they're food is giving them what they need too. I also have a rooster that eats with them, so I don't know how much they can have.

I ground up egg shells and added to their feed yesterday but I'm not sure that's going to be enough. I could do that regularly though while they're laying. Can I grind the oyster shells in a coffee grinder since they're not eating the crumbled one? I think the little rocks are too big. I will buy some flake, but for the time being I need to give them something they will eat.

They free range during the day and we give them fruit as treats along with tomatoes, kale and anything else we have in the garden.
I too switched to Kalmbach and I’m getting soft shells. My hens love it. Their feathers look better and all else except the eggs. It’s only been my best laying hens too. My three black midnight majestic marans. Since the switch they lay eggs while roosting with almost no shell. I keep oyster shell out for them always too.

Stop all treats.

I too switched to Kalmbach and I’m getting soft shells. My hens love it. Their feathers look better and all else except the eggs. It’s only been my best laying hens too. My three black midnight majestic marans. Since the switch they lay eggs while roosting with almost no shell. I keep oyster shell out for them always too.
Are you feeding treats?

Our silkies have been on that for about a year now and doing well. I leave out oyster shell and in a week I'll see they ate most of it and refill it. I used to grind up egg shells with a pestle/mortar then read how oyster shell is so much higher. I gave that grinding up. The silkies do fine with those big chunks. I don't know if they pick those to death or what but there's never anything left in the dish.

Back
Top Bottom