Keep losing chickens

Porpoise Hork

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Houston
So about 6 months ago I lost the first, since then I have been losing 1 about a month now and not sure what this bug is. All the girls were healthy up to the onset then gone within 1-4 days.

Symptoms are:
General listlessness behavior.
Loss of appetite with little to no interest in food.
Issues with balance. Some more than others. Those with issue fall over and could not right themselves.
All but one acted like one leg was broken or unable to move or put weight on it.
One bird (bearded Silky) very weak when found with labored gasping breathing.
Rapid decline in in condition from walking around to dead in under 24 hours with several.
Comb color loss, but one was dark purple.

No nasal discharge.
No mucus in eyes.
No change in eye color (Mereks)
No diarrhea or other change in stool.
No raspy breath.
Crop not impacted.
No indication they were egg bound.
None doing splits (Merek's)
No visible tumors or anything on skin (Merek's).
No visible injuries.

Birds lost with specifics on each:
Naked Neck, gone in under 24 hours. No sign of illness at all. Found in roost in morning was fine night before.
Easter Egger, Listless and not eating, gone in 24 hours
Bearded Silky, Found on her side covered in ants. gasping labored breath. Isolated and gave pedialyte she improved and hung on for 4 days but still listless and would not eat.
Black Japanese Bantam, listless separated herself from flock. Isolated and gone in 12 hours with gasping breath at the end.
Black Copper Maran, Listless, no interest in food but still drinking. slight balance issues. Gone overnight.
Grey Maran, Found on her side covered in ants unable to get up. Could not walk or get up on her own. No interest in water/food. Gone in 2 days.

Birds are not cramped in the roost can easily spread wings.
They have about 1K sq ft of range space.
No change in environment or possible toxic plants.
Roost and primary coop floor area cleaned weekly.
Water supply is hose fed system peck style water nipples.
Wild birds have no access to food/water supply.
Food is layer Dumor or similar 16% layer crumble with Whole seed mixed in.
All birds were immunized against marek's disease as chicks.
No evidence of parasites, worms or rodent droppings.
Healthy birds all active and normal until sudden onset.
All birds are 2-4 years old and were very active up until onset.

My wife's beside herself as one after another of her favorites is gone. So much so she's stated if we lose them all she doesn't want to get any more. I have spent the last two months trying to narrow it down to see if there's anything I can do to stop this thing. Many of the symptoms point to Merek's but not enough to be conclusive as some main symptoms of the virus are missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what to do.

I wish I knew the answer. That's horrible. I can't even imagine. Hopefully some of our experts will be able to point you in the right direction. Wondering if it's possible to send one for a post mortem to give you some answers and help rule out disease verses environmental issues. Fingers crossed you find some answers. :hugs

Here are some numbers to call:

College Station: 1.888.646.5623 | 979.845.3414
Canyon: 1.888.646.5624 | 806.651.7478
Center: 936.598.4451
Gonzales: 830.672.2834

Find out where the closest animal testing lab is and make arrangements to get the next chicken that dies to them for necropsy. Do refrigerate, not freeze the body.

There is also a lab doing pathology testing where you would send blood samples if it's not practical to send a body to the lab.
Research Assciates Laboratory, 411 McDermott Dr STE B, Allen, TX 75002-2854 972-960-2221 www.vetdna.com They will sell you a testing kit and you will collect the sample of blood. It has to be fresh as possible as blood degrades in 24-48 hours.

You do have avian influenza in Texas that is currently being monitored. Contact Texas A&M for information.

Here are the general symptoms:

Signs of Avian Flu Illness in Birds Sudden death; lack of energy, appetite, and coordination; purple discoloration and/or swelling of various body parts; diarrhea; nasal discharge; coughing; sneezing; and reduced egg production and/or soft-shelled or misshapen eggs.

I would send in as many bodies for a necropsy test asap! This could be caused by several causes such as Avian Influenza, Fowl Cholera, Avian Leukosis Virus, Marek’s Disease or even something else.

Thanks for the responses. It does look like Avian flu... :(

Trying everything I can think of to boost their immune systems. We've started giving them all the fresh organic fruits, herbs, and veggies they can handle (used to give just a couple times a week, but now daily) along fresh pumpkin and seeds. Also adding garlic, tumeric and live culture yogurt to cooked store bought eggs for them. I shut down the primary water source and put in a hanging can with probiotic and ACV and changing that daily.They are certainly loving it and are all but ignoring the crumble now.. My wife's looking into trying her hand at fermenting feed for them as she read it boosts immunity as well

I ordered some Virkon S and is supposed to be delivered today. Plans are to strip the top 1-2" of dirt out of the coop and replace with fresh. Remove all roost bedding (aspen shavings) and spray the entire coop/roost area with Virkon 2-3 times a week. Hopefully between the boost to diet and disinfecting regiment I can get ahead of this before any losing any more. If I lose another I'll see about having pathology run.

Thanks for the responses. It does look like Avian flu... :(

Trying everything I can think of to boost their immune systems. We've started giving them all the fresh organic fruits, herbs, and veggies they can handle (used to give just a couple times a week, but now daily) along fresh pumpkin and seeds. Also adding garlic, tumeric and live culture yogurt to cooked store bought eggs for them. I shut down the primary water source and put in a hanging can with probiotic and ACV and changing that daily.They are certainly loving it and are all but ignoring the crumble now.. My wife's looking into trying her hand at fermenting feed for them as she read it boosts immunity as well

I ordered some Virkon S and is supposed to be delivered today. Plans are to strip the top 1-2" of dirt out of the coop and replace with fresh. Remove all roost bedding (aspen shavings) and spray the entire coop/roost area with Virkon 2-3 times a week. Hopefully between the boost to diet and disinfecting regiment I can get ahead of this before any losing any more. If I lose another I'll see about having pathology run.
My heart breaks for you and your wife! I am so incredibly sorry! Let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom