Keep them cool on a hot day

Jdchickenhouse

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2022
Temperatures are at 108 degrees today. This isn’t normal in my area. My very small flock of chickens have lots and lots of space, shade and water. No electricity near the coop. Any tips to keep my girls cool? I have done a few things but hoping for validation of what I’m doing and some new ideas. Thanks!!!

Water and shade are good. Do you also have a dust bathing area? You can give them some watermelon if you want, or ice cubes in their water.

Water and shade are good. Do you also have a dust bathing area? You can give them some watermelon if you want, or ice cubes in their water.
I tried super cold watermelon yesterday. I will go do that again.It is 6pm and still 106. They need some help. They have a big area where they take dust baths but they aren’t doing that now, I think because of the heat on the ground. I have ice cubes up in the water holder so they can’t choke on the cubes as they get small. Thank you soooo much for the tips!!!

Having misters in temps that hot take the temp way down about 10-15* I live in vegas and have a few misting stations for them to hangout at and in their coops

Are they actually showing signs of heat stress?

Wings out to funnel air and panting are normal behavior in hot weather.

Are they lethargic? Not drinking? Sounds like you’re making the right moves and if there are no problem signs they’re probably good.

Feet, combs, and under wings are primary heat transfer areas. So, misters for combs, ventilation for under wings, and a shallow pool of cool water for feet are basic tactics.

Back
Top Bottom