Keep treating or cull?

FloridaChick13

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2015
Naples, FL

I'm sure everyone is tired of my problem child's eye. :( I'm at the end of my rope. We are on the third day of tylan 50. No change in the swelling and the eye is just barely open. Just not in the picture. I see like a yellow build up under the third lid when it is open however no matter how hard or which way I squeeze nothing comes out. She has been in her own pen for 5 weeks now. she scratches at her eye and rub it on her feathers but otherwise behaves normally.

Have you tried gently irrigating the eye with some lukewarm water? If there is a foreign body in there, the swelling/infection will not settle until it's gone. You will probably need help to do this....good luck, let us know.

I'm sure you have been cleaning, rinsing, etc.
Was she pecked in the eye or do you think its respiratory?
Since you see the pus and are having a hard time getting it out, ask someone to help hold her. I would place a warm compress on the eye, hopefully will start to loosen it, then use a qtip, tweezers or whatever to try to get that out. You might be surprised, there could be something in there.
After it is cleaned out you can use something like vetericyn eye gel or eyewash, or terramycin eye ointment in the eyes.
That's about the best idea, I have.
hugs.gif

I'm not sure if she was pecked. It all started with a little goo coming out of the corner and then the next morning it being dried shut. She doesn't have any breathing issues. No runny nose, no coughing or sneezing. I have tried saline rinses for a week. Then got vetricyn for two weeks. Then found out she had eye worms in the other eye so then a treatment of valbazen and now there are no worms. And since nothing was changing I am trying to treat with tylan because someone said it could be bacterial and need the antibiotics. What is the best way to hold her head still? And I always feel bad because she's thrashing around so I don't touch it.
this picture was a couple of weeks ago when she was getting treated with valbazen.

Wrap her in a towel and hold her under your left arm if you are right handed. I hope she gets better soon. There is always hope she hasn't given up yet.

Wrap her in a towel and hold her under your left arm if you are right handed. I hope she gets better soon. There is always hope she hasn't given up yet.

X2

You can wrap her in a towel and lay her on her back, you may have to start with the towel over her head, being on their back usually calms them. An extra set of hands is helpful.
Have all your supplies ready, so if you have her in position you don't have to stop and find something.

I'm not saying it isn't some other serious illness, but just curious to see if there is actually something in there like a piece of trash, food, dirt, or maybe even an infection from the eye worms, since she hasn't had a runny nose or sneezing etc.

Just for "kicks" take a look at this one, hers had a plugged nare and eye and it ended up being a "foxtail". The hard yellow stuff is pus.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1053341/pulled-a-fox-tail-and-this-mass

First,
THANK YOU

Oh. My. Chicken. that was traumatizing for me and Cornelia. Hubby held her still while I opened and squeezed her eye. I was finally able to see behind the third lid and saw a little yellow yuckness so I squeezed on the lid and out popped
it was not a pretty smell either. After that I could see her eye way back there but there was a good hole where it was all swollen so I rinsed with saline and then applied vetricyn. Let's see how it goes. Soo what causes that giant yellow pus ball? Injury? Infection? Both?

Back
Top Bottom