Keeping 2 mama rabbits together with their litters?

Laurobee13

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Clermont, GA
I have two does that were bred on the same day to different bucks. I was wondering if anyone has ever had two mamas in the same enclosure with their litters?

My enclosure is 8 feet long. The does get along fine. I would give each their own nest box on different ends of the enclosure.

Would they hurt each others babies?

I have other enclosures if I need to separate them, they are just much smaller.

I would separate them just to be safe. They might get along, but there is also the potential for a knock down drag out battle resulting in the loss of all of the kits.

If both does try to use the same nest, things could get nasty. Doe #1 might kindle in the nest, and then doe #2 comes along and starts digging in the nest and dumps the first litter out trying to prepare the nest for her own litter. If these were my rabbits, I would have them housed separately for the sake of my own peace of mind.

I've never seen them use the same nest - one prefers to burrow in the dirt and the other one likes the nest boxes. I'm just worried about handling them and moving them when they are literally due to kindle any hour now : /

Back
Top Bottom