Keeping Chickens Free Range

I would not be afraid of them eating something they shouldn't . I offered mine some sardines and they just looked and walked away. I spread cracked corn around when they are out and there is a place I had poured out some crumbles I tried to ferment and thought it was ruined. When I let them out that is where they run to first and scratch and scratch. What are you thinking they might eat that they shouldn't. I have read they can eat snakes, lizards,fish and most anything else.

I would not be afraid of them eating something they shouldn't . I offered mine some sardines and they just looked and walked away. I spread cracked corn around when they are out and there is a place I had poured out some crumbles I tried to ferment and thought it was ruined. When I let them out that is where they run to first and scratch and scratch. What are you thinking they might eat that they shouldn't. I have read they can eat snakes, lizards,fish and most anything else.

Just old things laying around. Nails or things like that. We don't have any specifically laying in a heap somewhere but there are things like that all over our property. We have a burn pile where we burn wood and other stuff like yard clippings etc.. our chickens stay out of things but the ducks seem to forage more. I worry they would pick up something random..

Hey guys does anyone here free range their ducks also?

They do fine and they know what to eat or not to eat...but they are generally the very first to be taken by BOP AND other predators, as they are not fast on their feet and do not respond to rooster alarm calls like a hen does. They do better if they have ponds with the typical grasses and reeds around the edge in which to hide but even then they disappear pretty quickly if they don't have the right cover and have to range too far for forage.

They do fine and they know what to eat or not to eat...but they are generally the very first to be taken by BOP AND other predators, as they are not fast on their feet and do not respond to rooster alarm calls like a hen does.  They do better if they have ponds with the typical grasses and reeds around the edge in which to hide but even then they disappear pretty quickly if they don't have the right cover and have to range too far for forage. 

We wouldn't be free ranging in a pasture. It would be more like a large yard. Our property is broken into like 3 yards and a super long driveway. There are lots of places to hide and their duck house would be in range also. The problem is that this is close to the house so we have kids toys out and random stuff all over lol. Just want to make sure the ducks won't eat some inanimate object the kids leave laying around.

They may pick up small toys and toy parts....chickens will too. I've found air pellets in chicken gizzards many a time and even copper BBs.

My chickens don't even notice them anymore. They get to many treats lol. We have been free ranging them for awhile without issue. I need more room for my ducks though. We don't have a pond. My friend free ranges her ducks and they don't eat anything but she has 40 acres. They sleep on her porch and are around all her things. I can't decide if mine would be ok or not because we don't have near that much property...

I'm wondering more about them eating things they are not supposed too? Will they eat loose stuff or avoid things that aren't food?

Just old things laying around. Nails or things like that. We don't have any specifically laying in a heap somewhere but there are things like that all over our property. We have a burn pile where we burn wood and other stuff like yard clippings etc.. our chickens stay out of things but the ducks seem to forage more. I worry they would pick up something random..

Yes they will grab stuff and run with it like it's some great prize. Twist ties, bread tabs, odd bits of plastic, If it looks interesting, in the beak it goes. I think it was Blooie who had a hen that was failure to thrive. She found a little bit of wire in the crop or gizzard. I get compost from the town dump, and it often has little and not so little surprises in it. I have to look it over very carefully. Even then, there are little bits that escape my notice and end up in chicken scrimmage. Part of the territory. Today, I watched a hen eat a tree frog. I told her it was my frog, and to leave it alone, but she wasn't listening to me. Tonight the dog ate an other one. She wasn't listening either.

they are like babies everything that fits in the mouth even if it takes a lot of cramming goes in wether food or not, mine have been less problematic with that as adults as if they get to bored they go to the low end of the pond and fish, thanks to the drake that brooded with them. They also love to play tug o war with the ducks for the head of lettuce.

Strangest thing I've caught em trying to eat was the bale twine the wind was blowing around after discovering wormsm not saying they haven't found other stuff that I didn't see when they were out free ranging

Back
Top Bottom