Keeping Chickens Free Range

We have show birds and yard birds. And some pretties that are not show quality but we love them anyways. The yard birds come out every morning. They all run down to my front lawn to forage. We havenesting boxesin the coop but several of them loudly agree that my window box is actually where they Should be laying. it is so funny to see them flyup and look in the kitchen at me. of coursethe poop on the porchis AWFUL. and, i had to give up my landscape for their appetite. i feed them in the coop. Have the most handsome and tame rooster ever. every once in a while a hen goes missing. usually our favorite... We think "how happy is the Fox today" and move on. chickens are better than an aquarium!
[/IMG]

We do feed ours in the morning in the run (around 6:00 A.M. ) and then we let them out around 8:30 or 9:00 A.M., they forage until about 4:00 P.M. and then they want back in the run to be fed again. I leave food in there, but this time of year they still find enough out in the acreage to keep them busy until late afternoon.

Later in the year, I'll feed them more even though they still free range. Not nearly as much for them to eat when they are running around in the winter.

I'm getting my first flock and its going to a mixed flock and I am planning to free range. But my question is I've heard that Buff O's are not good to free range because they are a heavier breed and I really want some! I was planning on getting a couple dominiques, EE and Orpingtons. Is this true????

Any breed will free range. IMO they are all scavengers. Hoovers with beaks. I don't know how BO's or the other larger breeds do re: predator evasion. Doms and EE's should be great. Have both, and love them both. My experience is that EE lay a bigger egg, and are not as friendly. Doms are little puppy dogs, but should be great for free ranging.

My buff is very docile and friendly. I be had her almost a year. I have 3 acres fenced in and that keeps most land predators out. Their color makes it harder for them to hide. She HSS done fine though. She went broody and raised chicks in the barn with all the other animals. If you want one give them a try.

I have 4 free ranging Buffys that do just fine. They tend to stay with the group and pay attention to things just like the others do. They can run and alert eachother just like the others. I say go for it! They are sweet birds.

I'm getting my first flock and its going to a mixed flock and I am planning to free range. But my question is I've heard that Buff O's are not good to free range because they are a heavier breed and I really want some! I was planning on getting a couple dominiques, EE and Orpingtons. Is this true????

I have 6 BO's and they are definitely my scavengers of the bunch. They do great free ranging with my mixed flock. My EE's are very good also, but are a little flighty. I don't have Doms but I have Barred Rocks and they are LOUD but friendly. I also love my Speckled Sussex such sweet personalities!

i got 6 new birds last week and put them up for 7 days turned them loose 3 days ago and they have already figuared out where everything is they go back to there coop every evening about sundown to get locked up. did you get a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom