Keeping Chickens Free Range

This is my first year with 6 chickens. I have been free-ranging them for the summer and have only had them poop in the yard , garden, and on the stone wall. I haven't had any of the chickens up on the cars, or up on the house for that matter. 3 of the 6 lay eggs in the coop and 2 decided the greenhouse was a more comfortable location. The kids haven't had any tics this summer, either. And just as it starts to get dark, they all head into the coop for the night. I think it has been amazing. I did lose one of the poor things about mid-summer. I'm not sure what took it but it only left some feathers as evidence. I live in a very rural area so I wasn't too awfully surprised. I feel its better for them to run around and forage.

Lance, It doesn't have to be an all or none, one size fits all proposition. Let your girls out for some free range time. Start about 2 hours before they normally go to bed. See how you and they like it, see where they go, and how many chicken bombs they leave behind. I find that when my girls go up the steps towards the deck or front door, all I have to do is toss a cup of water in their direction, and they scatter. If you let them out in the evening, they will patrol for bugs, and shouldn't be too interested in dust bathing in your favorite flower beds. In my yard, I get more enjoyment out of free ranging birds than I used to get from my well manicured and mulched flower beds. So, my flower beds are evolving into more of a sparsely planted moon scape, though some plants are holding up well to their attention. Over time, I'll replace the tender plants that are not tolerant of chicken cultivation with more hardy plants.

My dog likes to go "chicken bowling"! She doesn't chase them or attack them, but once a day or so when they are in a group, she just loves to run down the middle of the flock and send them squawking. Then she'll stop and look at me like she's waiting for a score :)

My dog likes to go "chicken bowling"! She doesn't chase them or attack them, but once a day or so when they are in a group, she just loves to run down the middle of the flock and send them squawking. Then she'll stop and look at me like she's waiting for a score :)

lol I have a Hamburg pullet who loves to go "robin bowling" and she stakes out my bird feeder to chase the squirrels away. She's saving me a fortune on sunflower seeds! She and my newfoundland team up on guard duty

I hear a lot about free ranging just being a hassle. Chickens all over your house and car pooping all over everything and laying eggs in places you can't find them.

Is this at all like the experiences of you guys here?

If I train the chickens to use their coop as home and I have plenty of good land for them to enjoy should I still expect them to poop on everything I own?
Mine lay their eggs in the coop. They poop everywhere on the ground and the occasional lawn chair but they don't get on the vehicles or anything like that, with the exception of, they sometimes like to jump up on the bumper of my husband's race car or on the big tire but they don't poop there. They do really enjoy exploring their world and are super curious about anything new or different.

It's no where near as bad as the dog poop even though there is more of it.

Mine are too young to lay eggs.

I have some poop in the yard ( fertilizer) however, what is more important is what I do not have, Wood ticks, box elder bugs and Asian beetles are nearly non-existent, compared to the full on assault we had from them the last couple years.

I love looking out and seeing my chickens. turkeys and Guinea grazing.

When egg time comes I hope they will use the nice fancy nests I built them, if not, oh well, no biggie. If you are worried about what people ( your spouse) will say about a little chicken poop, I suggest you get a few geese for a few months, they will never complain about chicken poop again.

Yep, if a mess us what your after, get water fowl!
Mine tend to investigate what I'm working on. Some will come right up and "help". Others will stand off a bit until I leave then go in for closer inspection. It could be something they are around every day, but if I go mess with it they have to check it out.

Mine tend to investigate what I'm working on. Some will come right up and "help". Others will stand off a bit until I leave then go in for closer inspection. It could be something they are around every day, but if I go mess with it they have to check it out.
My husband can't do anything without "help" from the chickens! It's most fun when he is laying on his back under the race trailer working on wiring and he is surrounded by 8 hens. They stand about 6 inches away from his face all bent over like they are very interested and talking about it (giving advice, I'm sure). It's a little un-nerving for him but absolutely hilarious for me! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom