Keeping Chickens Free Range

Good input. Maybe I'll scale back on the feed….Found wild turkeys munching on last night's chicken food this morning. Thankfully, the dogs knew their jobs!
Horses were penned up last night, they usually 'take care' of any uneaten feed in the evening. Maybe I'm letting myself being suckered by the horses. They have mountains of food all around……Vagabonds… the chickens DO feed off the morning pile throughout the day…….have to do some gray grinding on that~~~~~Gray cells…..
Had a funny; Had a container of veggie bits and pcs for the chickens. Had already thrown out something so they were already close. Tossed the celery stem out, it bounced of the back of the PR, she gave a chirp of surprise, then the Sexl dove after it…The whole order of it, the chirp of surprise, the SL dashing over, not caring one way or another, just "THERE'S MORE FOOD!!" I thought the whole thing was a crack up!
(NO pun intended..)
gig.gif

Last edited:
I had the same thing going on with the food on the ground at night. I cut way back and started checking their crops at night to make sure they had enough to eat.

Oh law container would be a disaster at my place. There is 22 chickens, 5 ducks, 3 goats, a goose and a turkey. There's a place out side the barn that has no grass. I throw the food out there and they eat of the ground.

Good input. Maybe I'll scale back on the feed….Found wild turkeys munching on last night's chicken food this morning. Thankfully, the dogs knew their jobs!
Horses were penned up last night, they usually 'take care' of any uneaten feed in the evening. Maybe I'm letting myself being suckered by the horses. They have mountains of food all around……Vagabonds… the chickens DO feed off the morning pile throughout the day…….have to do some gray grinding on that~~~~~Gray cells…..
Had a funny; Had a container of veggie bits and pcs for the chickens. Had already thrown out something so they were already close. Tossed the celery stem out, it bounced of the back of the PR, she gave a chirp of surprise, then the Sexl dove after it…The whole order of it, the chirp of surprise, the SL dashing over, not caring one way or another, just "THERE'S MORE FOOD!!" I thought the whole thing was a crack up!
(NO pun intended..)
gig.gif

I would have to kick my dogs butt for this!

Those turkeys were only 3 days from going into the coop and becoming your turkeys...
woot.gif

Just do not pass my advice on to your local game warden.......and if you do It came from Jessica.......or Linda... or..

My chickens are free range, we let them out in the morning and out then ba k in at night, usually around the same time. They love walking around the yard and sitting on the front steps threw out the day. When we put them in at night we always give them a snack, they live shredded cheese :) when they see me coming with the bag they all go right in to the coop

I have trained my flock to expect a treat at the end of the day also. for them, it's just a quart of lay pellets tossed into their coop. It's a great way to put them to bed and do a beak count, without waiting until THEY decide it's time to go to roost.

I would have to kick my dogs butt for this!

Those turkeys were only 3 days from going into the coop and becoming your turkeys...
woot.gif

Just do not pass my advice on to your local game warden.......and if you do It came from Jessica.......or Linda... or..
Duluth, You are a turd Bird……Meant in a nicely onry way...What have you got with law enforcement? Retired?…. No, I DON'T want to feed the wildlife, get caught doing so…Eggs is all I am into these 'kids' for, until I get the kahonies to butcher… When I get a d camera, will take pixs of wild ones so to make you drool? They've been coming around for years now.
Holy calcium curlers, Sunshine, If you can afford to give cheese for treats, WE'RE ALL UP FOR ADOPTION?!!! I'll get a bungee net and throw in the W turkeys?...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom