Keeping Chickens Free Range

@TX2CA I worried about my little dachshund too. She did go after my girls when they were just a few months old and even caught one briefly. Glad I was right there. However, after they grew up and the roos started doing the roo thing she got scared of them. I think either Tiger, my EE who is almost as big as the dog, or one of the roos went after her. Now if she sees a chicken when I open the front door she refuses to go out. I have to carry her past the flock just so she can do her business. She's even scared of the "babies" who are just over 4 months and some not even that old.

I ordered a big shipment of mealworms and will be trying all this when they get in. The hubby doesn't want to try without them. Tomorrow I will set up a nice lounging area (it's still 97 here at dusk) with some cool drinks, maybe a hard version for the hubs so he can relax about it all lol
I'm working on training the dogs. Our pit mix seems to not care about them at all. Cocks his head when the birds get loud, but otherwise ignores them. My mini dachshund though is a different story! She thinks she is a bad *** hunter, all of her 8 pounds. She has caught gophers so maybe she is. She still rushes their run a few times a day. But backs off immediately when called. It will be a process. I've been reading up on the articles here on dog training. Big guy has a muzzle, but the little girl doesn't.
We will figure it out, we are still pretty brand new to this.
If you don't want to wait on the mealworms, you could always give them some fresh corn....drop the kernals as you are walking back the run...I found out with my original 4 when they were young, the LOVED hot dogs! of all things ! LOL....raw hot dogs....It was like the pied piper at dusk! ;)

I ordered a big shipment of mealworms and will be trying all this when they get in. The hubby doesn't want to try without them. Tomorrow I will set up a nice lounging area (it's still 97 here at dusk) with some cool drinks, maybe a hard version for the hubs so he can relax about it all lol
I'm working on training the dogs. Our pit mix seems to not care about them at all. Cocks his head when the birds get loud, but otherwise ignores them. My mini dachshund though is a different story! She thinks she is a bad *** hunter, all of her 8 pounds. She has caught gophers so maybe she is. She still rushes their run a few times a day. But backs off immediately when called. It will be a process. I've been reading up on the articles here on dog training. Big guy has a muzzle, but the little girl doesn't.
We will figure it out, we are still pretty brand new to this.

Whatever treat you use, get a small plastic or tupperware container and put the treat in. Then shake it in the coop/run, while your chickens are still confined, and say 'chick, chick, chick' (or whatever term catches your fancy). Then give them some.
Do this a couple of times per day (you don't have to give them much).

After 2-3 days, they will associate treats with the noise and words you use.
When it is time to go back to the coop, use this to lure them in; they should come running!

I guess I'm picky. I wanted my birds trained to a verbal cue only. I never bothered with shaking a container. I figured there would be plenty of times I would need or want to call the girls when I didn't have a container handy. I didn't want to risk having the behavior become dependent on anything other than my call.

I guess I'm picky. I wanted my birds trained to a verbal cue only. I never bothered with shaking a container. I figured there would be plenty of times I would need or want to call the girls when I didn't have a container handy. I didn't want to risk having the behavior become dependent on anything other than my call.

Sure, whatever works for you.

I am out of town sometimes, and a neighbor cares for my hens. So it's easier to have something universal to 'call' the hens, that both of us can use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom