Keeping Chickens Free Range

I assume most folks here keep the more alert and flighty breeds. I do - brown Leghorn, silver spangled Hamburgs, Fayoumis, etc. My question is, does anyone have any tips for getting these wilder type breeds to lay in nest boxes? We have a very dense habitat on our property with ton of thick brush. Can't find my eggs!

I assume most folks here keep the more alert and flighty breeds. I do - brown Leghorn, silver spangled Hamburgs, Fayoumis, etc. My question is, does anyone have any tips for getting these wilder type breeds to lay in nest boxes? We have a very dense habitat on our property with ton of thick brush. Can't find my eggs!

You'll need to keep the birds confined for a time period so that they orient to the coop/nestbox. This is easiest done when they are young and they grow up with the idea that they retreat to the nest/coop to lay. But over time I've had a couple of birds start to lay in the range and I've had to confine the whole flock for a week or so, and did succeed in getting the errant bird back on track.

If your birds have never been confined and never learned the nestbox, I'm not sure what the answer is. I hope other more experienced folks will give you help.

I don't bother picking certain breeds, as long as I have fairly 'Normal' eggs. (Normal is a setting on the washing Machine.) After the heat lamp, All of my chickens spend Some time in a hutch. Early on, I open the door, then leave the door open, even if I have to put up a ramp for them.They are safe overnight, but as they age, can get out early as they wish. We're at 18 weeks, this batch.
*I line pet carriers boxes or any other hideaway with straw. I've been lucky, having an older hen to show the youngsters the situation. Just y-day found One Production Red's first egg in the same box as the older hen! There is a bush they meander through, I keep an eye on, in case anyone takes a hankering to lay there. It's fairly open where I am at, so the Hound dog, gets OUT AS SOON AS she says there's a Scent too close for comfort! Thought Sure I had lost a more outside cat, due to nearby coyotes, but he showed Up! WHEW!
I DO have several places, trees, porches, bushes, they can dart to should a Rooster give a warning.

Just coop them up for a week or so until they are using the coop nests again...that usually works.

I don't know that I'd call my birds flighty but they are definitely wary out on range....but calm. Not overly nervous, fidgety or vocal like leghorns and such.

D.gif
D.gif
Found another New egg in older hen's box, Another new one in prepared box under Front Porch!
clap.gif
big_smile.png
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif
ya.gif

My small flock has been in a 8X8 outdoor pen that is attached to the coop for about the last 3 weeks. I want to them to roam free but to return to the coop at night. When should I allow them to roam? Also they are about 10 weeks old. (My first flock ever)

This is mostly a question to ask yourself. If they are able to go outside as is, they are ready to free range. Since they have been in a coop with their food and water for weeks, they know that it is home by now. Ten weeks is quite young, personally I'd be more comfortable free ranging them for a couple hours during the day, under supervision and herd them back to the coop when finished, just to get them used to the idea, and because they are more vulnerable at such a young age
. But that is entirely up to you.

EDIT:
This showed up as the latest post for some odd reason, I don't think it needed to be answered anymore.

Last edited:
I have 10 week old chickens and am hoping to start free ranging them soon. I am terrified they will leave and not come back though! Will it be instinctual for them to come back at night? we have heavily wooded property so if they don't come back on their own, I would have difficulty finding them.... I also don't want them laying in the woods once they star laying. Any advice for this newbie??

How are y'all keeping your free range birds safe? We life out in the country and have lost several to coyotes. My birds free range during the day but I have them coop trained at night. I have a good, secure coop. It's off the ground and we close it at night but I'm still afraid while they're foraging around during the day they're an easy target. Other than hiring a sentry, what tips do you have to keep your flock safe?

How are y'all keeping your free range birds safe? We life out in the country and have lost several to coyotes. My birds free range during the day but I have them coop trained at night. I have a good, secure coop. It's off the ground and we close it at night but I'm still afraid while they're foraging around during the day they're an easy target. Other than hiring a sentry, what tips do you have to keep your flock safe?

What breeds do you have? Some are better than others at detecting and escaping predators. As a general rule, white egg layers tend to have better survival instincts, but I recommend checking out the Murray McMurray Hatchery website because they rate each breed's free ranging skills on a scale (when you get to a breed's page, click "more" in the red box). I recommend silver spangled Hamburg (not other Hamburgs), brown Leghorns, and Egyptian Fayoumis. Also, does your flock have cover all over the place for shelter? They'll need some blackberry bushes, tall grass, under the coop, whatever. If they're just hanging out in an open meadow, then, yeah, they're going to attract a lot of predators.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging

Back
Top Bottom