Keeping Chickens Free Range

We have 5 dogs and they are also fine with the chickens! It's wonderful to know that so many people free range them! It's the right way to keep chickens I believe. Thank you so much for spreading the word about this thread!! :hugs

I have 3 dogs, 1 is a husky/Border Collie and is 13 yrs old he would never touch my birds. The other 2 are 8mo old Doberman/Labs they "played" with one of my ducks but didn't kill is, since then they have not touched any of my birds and could seem to care less about them. I think my son got them riled up and that's why they were messing with the duck. I had to explain to him to keep the dogs away from the birds when playing with them

Meal worms is all I can say
1f60a.png
Our hens are trained well..just rattle a plastic grocery bag and they all come running..toss into coop a few handfuls of meal worms and TADA chickens in and safe for night. This takes a few times, but that reward system has worked for all our hens, the younger ones learn slowly but do get it...treats are their friend! Good luck!

I only have about an acre low to chicken ranging and typically they're out from 7-9 hours daily. I like to free range to keep my feed costs slightly down but definitely trained them to associate my presence with the gift of treats. That helps when I need to put them up, which they are in their pen if no one is home, and mealworms is a go-to. They'll also follow me for grapes, melon, or sometimes plain garden clover.

I only feed once a day, in the evening....my birds follow me everywhere I go out there, even if I have nothing in my hands.
lol.png
If I don't come out early enough in the morning, they come down and wait on the back porch, staring at me through the window...then they follow me or lead me like a herd of cats, getting in my way, tripping me if I let them, but following my every move.

The other day I went for a walk down the road with the dogs and my grandchild...half the flock followed me a good 200yds down the road but finally stopped and went back when they realized I wasn't doing any feeding any time soon.

No need to have any treats or such when you only feed once a day...they will keep their eyes on you and if you even look like you are heading towards the coop, they will converge from all corners to meet you there, running for all they're worth!
gig.gif

I'd love to be at your place at feeding time!

LG, if a person isn't used to it, it can be a little frightening. They go a little cra-cra and try to jump into the feed bucket and up on the scoop when one is trying to dish out the food...I haven't done enough training with this current flock yet so that they give me some space. Just been too busy of late. Come fall I may work with them a little bit. You can imagine Mom trying to feed them!
gig.gif

haha...My boyfriend can go out, call them and then point at the run and say "ok, fun time is over, time to go to bed, so get in the run" and they do!!!! When I first saw him do this I almost fell over laughing....they just walk right in....LOL....Me, I usually have to herd them and there's one always trying to run in the opposite direction! arghhh!

I only feed once a day, in the evening....my birds follow me everywhere I go out there, even if I have nothing in my hands.   :lol:    If I don't come out early enough in the morning, they come down and wait on the back porch, staring at me through the window...then they follow me or lead me like a herd of cats, getting in my way, tripping me if I let them, but following my every move. 

The other day I went for a walk down the road with the dogs and my grandchild...half the flock followed me a good 200yds down the road but finally stopped  and went back when they realized I wasn't doing any feeding any time soon. 

No need to have any treats or such when you only feed once a day...they will keep their eyes on you and if you even look like you are heading towards the coop, they will converge from all corners to meet you there, running for all they're worth!  :gig

^^^^ but Bee ferments {as do I} so that's a bit different {and better!} than feeding dry.
1f600.png

LG, if a person isn't used to it, it can be a little frightening.  They go a little cra-cra and try to jump into the feed bucket and up on the scoop when one is trying to dish out the food...I haven't done enough training with this current flock yet so that they give me some space.  Just been too busy of late.  Come fall I may work with them a little bit.  You can imagine Mom trying to feed them!  :gig

1} Wear eye protection.
2} Don't fall down. :lau

Last edited:
We got hit by coyotes yesterday. Lost at least 10 of my boys and a few girls. No bodies; just piles and piles of feathers. I won't be home for another week. None of the dogs got hurt, thank goodness, since they gave chase. That leaves me with a single lf roo; 2 lf cockerels, and a few remaining bantams. They got a few ducks, but no guineas. I'm still hoping some will come home after a bit. They were also chasing calves, so we've got some help in the lead dept. Girls estimate about 1/4 were taken, and out of 175ish- that's a lot. How many yotes could take that many in a matter of minutes?

We are heartbroken. No horses hurt; cats are ok; no punctutes on the dogs. The really scary thing is, they were seen multiple times of the day while my girls were outside.
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom