Keeping chickens in t a run but separate from the adults

tucker0104

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Charlotte, NC
First, thanks for the replies. I have some 7 week old chicks that are ready to be outside in the run. I have put up a temporary fence from the rest of the flock but am needing some ideas on a cheap, temporary coop. Has anyone made a cheap one real quick? If so, what did you do? I am just needing it for a month or two.

I have an article on integrating chickens on my page. Check it out. As for the coop, if you want a sturdy one, you will need to buy something for a few hundred dollars. If you need it cheap, building is the best option. What is your price range? I will look for some coops when I know how much you are willing to spend!

I have tried integrating and it seems like my chicks always get picked on. My run is secure so I am just needing something small and cheap that I can keep them in. I can build things.

I have tried integrating and it seems like my chicks always get picked on. My run is secure so I am just needing something small and cheap that I can keep them in. I can build things.
Again, what is your price range? I can look for some pre-made coops. If you would rather build, what size do you need? I will look for plans!

I think we are on two different paths here. I am talking like a 3 sided structure to keep them out of the rain. Small, for a couple small chickens.

I think we are on two different paths here. I am talking like a 3 sided structure to keep them out of the rain. Small, for a couple small chickens.
Oh, I understand now! I think you would be better off building one. It might be hard to find a pre-built, 3 sided structure to fit your needs.

Could you make something out of wire, a tarp and PVC? This is my broody mama setup. It is a 5'x5' PVC run that is 2' high with a wire and tarp lid. The wire on the side is 1/2" chicken wire. For the tote, we cut a hole in the short end make two identical frames a little smaller than the hole, sandwiched the wall of the tote between the frames and put a door/ramp on a hinge on the frame. It has worked quite well for us. It keeps the mama and chicks in sight of the rest of the flock. It can also be used for introducing youngsters to the flock as well.
chick run open.jpg
mama and chick run.jpg
tote air holes.jpg
Tote closed.jpg

Could you make something out of wire, a tarp and PVC? This is my broody mama setup. It is a 5'x5' PVC run that is 2' high with a wire and tarp lid. The wire on the side is 1/2" chicken wire. For the tote, we cut a hole in the short end make two identical frames a little smaller than the hole, sandwiched the wall of the tote between the frames and put a door/ramp on a hinge on the frame. It has worked quite well for us. It keeps the mama and chicks in sight of the rest of the flock. It can also be used for introducing youngsters to the flock as well.View attachment 1155182 View attachment 1155184 View attachment 1155185 View attachment 1155186

That is perfect. Thank you so much for the help.

If the area is predator proof and you want something quick and cheap for only two chickens, I'd consider a lean-to. Slope a piece of plywood so rainwater drains away from them and put some type of sides to it, maybe a tarp or some 3 mil plastic. At 7 weeks in your climate it won't take much.

I don't know what your flock looks like, your area, or your plans for the future. I find it extremely handy to have a permanent place I can use on a moments notice. What you are doing for integration is a prime example, but maybe build something with a wire floor so you can use it as a broody buster. You could use it to isolate a hen when incubating eggs or raising chicks if you do it that way, I don't but a lot of people do. You can isolate an injured chicken. I know you want something quick and cheap but you might want to think about something a little more permanent.

Back
Top Bottom