Keeping chickens out of mulched beds

i posted on this thread last Sept that I was using rocks as a border to keep mulch. ha. ha. ha ha ha. it didn't work. i have given up on having mulched beds in the back yad. . when the chickens move mulch on to the path now, instead of putting it back I clean it up and dump it elsewhere where they can scratch in it and not make a mess.

I just fence the chickens in or out of an area using plastic fencing,bamboo poles,and zips ties.When you need to change things just pull up the poles,and move the fencing,or snap off the zip ties.

I put a fence cut from 2X4 welded wire, around all my mulched beds. I tried a number of other options, but this was the only thing that worked. The fence doesn't have to be very tall. I do think an upright fence would be better than laying chicken wire over the mulch. I would worry about the chicken wire damaging their feet if they tried to scratch through it.

I put a fence cut from 2X4 welded wire, around all my mulched beds. I tried a number of other options, but this was the only thing that worked. The fence doesn't have to be very tall. I do think an upright fence would be better than laying chicken wire over the mulch. I would worry about the chicken wire damaging their feet if they tried to scratch through it.
how tall is the fence? 3 of my 8 hens can go over my 4.5 foot fence. I don't think it'd work for me unless it was 5-6 feet tall.

I have little 2 foot picket fences around some of my garden beds, and it sort of slows them down and minimizes the time they are in there, but certainly doesn't keep any of them out.

Back
Top Bottom