Keeping chickens warm

ktlady

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2018
Just looking for more input. I am in Anchorage, AK and want to make sure my flock of 5 chickens has the best chance of doing well this winter. I have an insulated, wired, ventilated 4x4 coop with an attached 8x4 covered run. I am planning to wrap the run in 6 mil plastic to give the girls more protection from the wind and hopefully encourage them to get out of the coop this winter. I already have an outlet that is temperature-controlled (on at 0 F, off at 10 F) in the hopes of decreasing fire risk/overheating. Just can't decide what to plug into it to keep the coop warm.

I've read decent reviews on the "Premier Heat Lamp," which claims to be safer than a standard heat lamp, but using a heat lamp at all makes me nervous. I'm also considering the "Cozy Products Chicken Coop Heater," but some reviews claim it produces no heat while others say it gets too hot.

I realize this is a subjective topic, but I am hoping to hear from someone that has experience with these products (or something that has worked better for you in the past).

Thanks in advance.

In Alaska many of the outdoor types wear down filled or down quilted clothes.
Chickens already have a set of down quilted outdoor clothing (At least the adult chickens do) so in a environment like Anchorage I doubt that you hens will need extra or supplementary heat. But they definitely need a draft free (but well ventilated) coop to chill in. I would not much expect hens to wade through snow or ice, but I would expect them to need a tight and covered run in which to noon. A deep layer of dry litter will be nice. Then if push comes to shove your chickens will have a cozy place to sleep, even if it isn't on a roost.

Just looking for more input. I am in Anchorage, AK and want to make sure my flock of 5 chickens has the best chance of doing well this winter. I have an insulated, wired, ventilated 4x4 coop with an attached 8x4 covered run. I am planning to wrap the run in 6 mil plastic to give the girls more protection from the wind and hopefully encourage them to get out of the coop this winter. I already have an outlet that is temperature-controlled (on at 0 F, off at 10 F) in the hopes of decreasing fire risk/overheating. Just can't decide what to plug into it to keep the coop warm.

I've read decent reviews on the "Premier Heat Lamp," which claims to be safer than a standard heat lamp, but using a heat lamp at all makes me nervous. I'm also considering the "Cozy Products Chicken Coop Heater," but some reviews claim it produces no heat while others say it gets too hot.

I realize this is a subjective topic, but I am hoping to hear from someone that has experience with these products (or something that has worked better for you in the past).

Thanks in advance.
Anchorage doesn't get that cold. You will not need heat there.

I would wrap only part of the covered run... you don't want them in a plastic bag... no ventilation. It is nice however, if you can keep snow out of the run. If there is lots of blowing snow wrapping the run with grow cover.. that light white cloth stuff that people but over crops to keep off moths... works nicely. It breathes some... but will keep out the snow.

Make sure your perches are wide, and that you have ventilation. People tend to panic, get the coop all buttoned up, there is close to no ventilation, and then the birds get respiratory illnesses.

If you want heat, use a flat panel heater... BUT, test it.

Someone was using one of those, and it scorched the wall it was on. A fire wasn't started... but it could have been.

Don't worry about warm, worry about dry. Do not add heat, add dry bedding and good ventilation. Coops that are tight, are damp, damp chickens are cold chickens.

Keep them dry, not warm. Dry birds keep themselves warm if they can get out of the wind, that is all the coop needs to be is a wind shelter.

Flat panel heater might work better in that small of a coop,
but it's gonna be tricky with 5 birds in a 4x4.
Maybe @Alaskan will chime in...I always pick on them as I don't know anyone else here who lives in Alaska.

I don’t live in Alaska but traveled there recently wonderful place. Welcome!
I am in the no supplemental heat group and it is a fire hazard.
92510797-F0E2-4B7F-85A8-6E7EDCD99275.gif

Wow, great info & I don’t live anywhere near Alaska!! (I’m more in ‘Baked Alaska’ territory—haha!!! 🤣) But I will have quail again soon & appreciate all the great feedback here.

Back
Top Bottom