Keeping Chicks Warm Without Power

Apr 28, 2019
Western North Carolina
I just woke up and the power is out. We don’t have a generator. I don’t know how long it’s been out. We have 6 2-week old chicks that we use a heat lamp with. They seem comfy right now but what do i do if the power stays out and they start to get cold?

I just woke up and the power is out. We don’t have a generator. I don’t know how long it’s been out. We have 6 2-week old chicks that we use a heat lamp with. They seem comfy right now but what do i do if the power stays out and they start to get cold?
Did the power come back on @sweetwatermountain ?
Do you have other heat sources where you could heat a brick?

I have 2 week old chicks and our power has been off since 3 am. I put some large hand warmers in there covered with a little shavings at 4:00am. That seemed to keep them happy. When it warmed up this morning about 9 the sun was shining so I moved their brooder to where one corner was in direct sunlight and covered the other sides with blankets so there were no drafts. They have been like that all day and been good. They say our power won’t be restored tonight so I guess it’s back to hand warmers later tonight.

Thanks for the replies and advice! The power came back on around 1pm and it turned out they were okay with the brooder in the house by a sunny window. Someone on Facebook recommend I use hot water bottles if needed which probably would have been the easiest thing for me to have done if I needed to...luckily the power came back on! Crazy storms here in the Carolinas last night!!

Our power went out one night due to storms when the chickies were only a week old. A quick search on here/google led me to boiling water, putting it inside a mason jar, covering mason jar with a sock and then putting inside the brooder. I made two jars; they nestled up around them both and seemed fine. Thankfully the power came back on in the morning.

Well we still have no power but they all are safe and sound this morning. Pulled the blankets off and slid them over in the sunshine and they are happy. I guess you call this early acclimation by necessity.

Back
Top Bottom