Keeping cool

RobertHahn68

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2020
In Arizona the mid day temp can exceed 115 degrees. We have made a cooling sanctuary for our flock. This includes shade, a listing system and moving air. Underneath the canopy is about 18 degrees cooler than the outside temp. We also provide frozen water bottles, frozen fruit treats and plenty of cool water. During the hottest part of the day or flick retreats under this and wait until the sun goes lower and more shade is covering the yard. We also have a fan circulating air in there coop at night.

Attachments

• 39375EC7-FDCF-4F37-8D03-61CB85BFC847.jpeg
    39375EC7-FDCF-4F37-8D03-61CB85BFC847.jpeg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 17
We are into pretty high temps over here in NJ this week, not quite 115 but calling for 96-98 degrees with typical high humidity today and tomorrow. I notice my chickens walking around with their mouths open, they are shaded and I am giving them fresh water with ice to help cool them down.

Hi! I'm in NJ as well and am preparing to do battle as today will be the hottest day and I think the girls (and 3 boys) are already stressed from the intense heat with no breaks from the last 3 days.

I got them a small wading pool that attaches to the hose which creates a ring of sprinkling water around the edge
They haven't exactly used it themselves, although they get pretty close to it ........unfortunately only to glare at it in distrust 😒
I have gently forced a few hens in yesterday when I thought they were getting a little too hot to cool off their wings and bellies.

I also spray their run with cold water which actually does make a noticeable difference.

I've been giving them various frozen treats and hang frozen gallon bottles in the path of a fan in their coop overnight.

I do unfortunately have 5 broody hens right now that will not leave the coop. I constantly bring them cold water and have to physically remove them from their boxes and place them directly next to the water which they always start drinking immediately. I swear they wouldn't get off themselves without my help and would just roast and roast in there until they cooked.

I might have to bring a few girls in today, I think a few are walking a fine line between just really hot and dangerously hot. I have a 10 year old hen named Angel, who is literally turning grey but takes the heat better then a few if the younger hens.

My chickens all came into my care kinda messed up already and I'm forever battling SOMETHING with them, so worry extra in the heat. I think this is the only instance where I would actually prefer the NJ winter temps for their sakes. The high heat really takes a toll on my sweet tiny raptors.

In the end though, we're much better off the the folks over I'm Washington...I do hope they're all hanging in there.

Hi! I'm in NJ as well and am preparing to do battle as today will be the hottest day and I think the girls (and 3 boys) are already stressed from the intense heat with no breaks from the last 3 days.

I got them a small wading pool that attaches to the hose which creates a ring of sprinkling water around the edge
They haven't exactly used it themselves, although they get pretty close to it ........unfortunately only to glare at it in distrust 😒
I have gently forced a few hens in yesterday when I thought they were getting a little too hot to cool off their wings and bellies.

I also spray their run with cold water which actually does make a noticeable difference.

I've been giving them various frozen treats and hang frozen gallon bottles in the path of a fan in their coop overnight.

I do unfortunately have 5 broody hens right now that will not leave the coop. I constantly bring them cold water and have to physically remove them from their boxes and place them directly next to the water which they always start drinking immediately. I swear they wouldn't get off themselves without my help and would just roast and roast in there until they cooked.

I might have to bring a few girls in today, I think a few are walking a fine line between just really hot and dangerously hot. I have a 10 year old hen named Angel, who is literally turning grey but takes the heat better then a few if the younger hens.

My chickens all came into my care kinda messed up already and I'm forever battling SOMETHING with them, so worry extra in the heat. I think this is the only instance where I would actually prefer the NJ winter temps for their sakes. The high heat really takes a toll on my sweet tiny raptors.

In the end though, we're much better off the the folks over I'm Washington...I do hope they're all hanging in there.

Looks like we are going to get a decent break over here in NJ starting today and into this weekend so our tiny raptors can recuperate from the high heat we've had.

Back
Top Bottom