keeping ducklings cool?

Chloelouise

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
HI! I am new to the forum and ducks in general. I got a cayuga duckling and a pekin duckling a few days ago, they are about 2-3 weeks old.

My question is about my pekin. Its mouth is open and it appears to be panting and its feet and belly are so hot its scary. I know that keeping ducklings warm seems to be the big concern but what about ducklings that are too hot? It can get around 90 degrees in my room where they are currently staying..

Is the ducky overheating? What can I do to help? And is this going to be an issue when I move them outside in a few weeks?

Always have fresh, clean, cold water available and at 2-3 weeks they are ready to go outside...90 degrees is too hot know...let them go outside

If it's panting, it's too hot. If you can move the light further away, that would be helpful for now.
When I have to move babies outside in the heat, I always worry. Obviously water is the primary concern. Waterfowl need a lot of it. Lowe's sells some plastic troughs cheap. They can be found in the masonry area. They're made from black plastic and are often used to mix concrete/grout. I keep a couple full of water. If you can keep the ducks in water, they won't sweat it.

If it's hot outside or hot in the room they are in, they do not need a heat lamp. I always brood my ducklings outside in a fully insulated coop, and when it's hot outside I turn off the lamp and open the coop door to give them fresh air.

A paint pan that you use with a paint roller works great for a tiny duckling pool. I don't have ducks yet, but several people have told me they've used that for tiny ducklings.

At 2 - 3 weeks old I had mine outside all day in a tractor with a kitty litter pan with water. I put some blocks of wood on the outside so they could climb in and one on the inside so they could climb out. I put sheets on the sun facing side and on top of it. They did fabulous. It was cooler temps and they did fine...I did not take them outside until it hit 70 degrees in the morning.

sheets blocking the sun...

4daysold12.jpg

their little makeshift pool.....

19daysold7.jpg

They also got supervised play time in the big kiddie pool

Ducklingspray3.jpg

Now at 9 weeks old, 90+ degree days, they have a sheet over the big tractor for sun protection and a small kiddie wading pool to play in all day...no overheating so far

Last edited:
They are ready to go outside. Shade and plenty of water. I turn the hose on for mine a few times a day and they LOVE it. Makes me know they also get some cold, clean water this way.

Back
Top Bottom