Keeping geese and chickens in same shed?

Glendaroost

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi, I have two 13 week old sebastopol geese (one male one female) who are housed in a 5x6ft shed at night. During the day they are free ranging. Now due to unforeseen circumstances our chicken coop has suffered severe damage and we have had to house our 14 week old chickens (orpington x4 and wyandotte x1) in with the geese. We have given the chickens perches so that they can get away if they want, but we heard a lot of scrapping, mostly the chickens being harassed by the geese as they will pull on their tails. They are separated during the day but we need to keep them all in at night as we have a lot of pine martens about. How do I integrate the geese and chickens so that they co exist? Or is it a lost cause?

Don't put them together! I tried that once, with my Sebastopol mixes, and one of them ate the comb off of my rooster! :eek: Not pretty.

Yikes, have managed to get the chickens into my kitchen and will have to find an alternative soon, all unharmed thankfully. Have people found that they get on when free ranging? We have a few acres so they should be able to distance themselves

Yikes, have managed to get the chickens into my kitchen and will have to find an alternative soon, all unharmed thankfully. Have people found that they get on when free ranging? We have a few acres so they should be able to distance themselves
I'd have them around together while free ranging, just with my Guinea Fowl occasionally letting me know that the gander and the rooster was fighting. Even when free ranging together, they would occasionally pin a hen to a fence while ripping her feathers out, and occasionally would try killing one of my bantams. For the most part, I'd prefer to keep them separate, but not so far away that the geese couldn't protect the chickens if needed. If you have them trained to stay in their own areas, with the space you got, they should be fine. Just not in the same coop as each other.

Back
Top Bottom