Keeping light on in coop all night??

boat309

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
south shore mass
So I built a big coop and run for my 8 ladies. My problem is that the coop gets pitch black before it gets dark outside and they will not go in to bed unless I turn the light on and then they all run right up. Is it ok leaving a low wattage light on all night or should I put it on a timer of Some sort. Also is it ok to just shut the light off like that cus I know they can't see in the dark

If the coop is so dark that they won't go inside, then you can use a nightlight or a string of xmas lights to coax them inside.
Is it possible to cut some holes in the coop to bring in some natural light?
You can cover the holes with wire.

And, yes, once they're all settled in for the night you can turn off the lights.
They do not need any light while they're sleeping.

It's kinda a hassle tho goin out their and shutting them in and then goin back out their to check that they are all bedded down so I can turn off the light. That's why I wanted to know if I could just put the light on a sensor to come on at dusk and shut off a dawn

Cost is always a factor, I understand that but here is a thought. I replaced my roofing to coop with clear corgated (sp) sheeting from Menards. Allows full light even in shaded areas and they love it. Hope this helps. I cant hardly keep mine out of the coop (smile) !!

I bought a solar rope light for $10. I mounted the solar panel out side and ran the rope in through a vent hole. My husband is in the process of converting my whole coop to solar, he's tired of picking up the extension cord to mow :)

Back
Top Bottom