Keeping predators away - DOES THIS REALLY WORK???

PDS3

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
Australia
Hi again everyone,
D.gif

I was looking through this section and I wanted to know if anyone has tried these methods to protect their chickens and do they really work? Because if they do EVERYONE should know about them! Below are some ways to protect your chickens from predators.

1. Putting kitty litter around the chook pen. I have heard that cats scare away snakes, and someone told me that this is a good way to protect my chickens from them.

2. Keeping guinea fowl. Guinea fowl keep away snakes. Ok, I know this one works (
wink.png
) but if anyone knows anything to add please say so!

3. Alpacas. I also know this one works, but alpacas keep away foxes. (does anyone know how? Or why?)

4. Hanging old CD's. The light reflects off of it and it scares away predators. I think.

The next one is really obvious but anyway...

5. Get a rooster. Ok I don't think I need to explain this one.

6. Get electric fences. These will surely keep all of the creatures out...and in.

7. Use guard dogs. These will protect your hens (if the dogs are friendly).

8. Lock up the hens at night. Most predators come out at night but if the ladies are safely locked up they should be fine.

9. Make sure that your fences go at least 20cm under ground so that predators cannot dig underneath.

10. Know the predators. If you know the predators in your area you will know exactly what you are dealing with and ways you can stop them attacking.

11. Cover the roof of your coop. If the roof is covered flying predators like owls can't get to your flock.

12. Make the coop more visible. If the predator is visible they will feel WAY more venerable.

13. Block all holes. This will stop small predators (mainly pests) entering.

14. Often check your hens health. Just make sure that they are ok.

15. Clean the coop, water and food. Make sure everything is clean so that predators will not be attracted by food and places to hide.

16. Collect eggs DAILY. A lot of predators will break into the coop to eat eggs, so if there are none your hens will be safe and sound.

17. Uhhhhh, I don't know anymore!
hu.gif

If anyone has anymore please tell me, so that I can add it to the list!

Thanks everyone and I hope this helps you out,

PDS3
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Mothballs seem to really help with snakes. I just got chicks in May this year and when I moved them from the brooder at 5 weeks old to the chicken house and with in two weeks four 5 foot chickens snakes made their way to the chicken house, two in one day. Thank goodness I renovated the old chickens house with snakes in mind as I live on a old dairy farm with many old builds and such. The snakes didn't get in the house put where on the under eves of the house and were dealt with if they didn't cooperate with the relocation process. I haven't see a snake now for months with the mothballs places on the ledge of the eves of all four corners of the chicken house. I placed the entire bag of mothballs up under the eve ledges where they don't get wet..

I read fishing line strung across your open run helps keep arial predators out.

As far as #15 goes, I collect my food every night.

And for #5, unfortunately roosters also can succumb to predation.
hmm.png

And #4 Hanging in the door way keeps crow or raven from going inside the hen house and stealing eggs, where I bought my goats.

There are many day time predators and I think lots of human activity keeps them away as well. Like yard work or gardening.

# 6, Love electric fences, but does nothing for digging predators such as opossum, mole, weasels or whatever lives under ground in your area.

Hi again everyone,
D.gif

I was looking through this section and I wanted to know if anyone has tried these methods to protect their chickens and do they really work? Because if they do EVERYONE should know about them! Below are some ways to protect your chickens from predators.

1. Putting kitty litter around the chook pen. I have heard that cats scare away snakes, and someone told me that this is a good way to protect my chickens from them.

2. Keeping guinea fowl. Guinea fowl keep away snakes. Ok, I know this one works (
wink.png

3. Alpacas. I also know this one works, but alpacas keep away foxes. (does anyone know how? Or why?)

4. Hanging old CD's. The light reflects off of it and it scares away predators. I think.

6. Get electric fences. These will surely keep all of the creatures out...and in.

8. Lock up the hens at night. Most predators come out at night but if the ladies are safely locked up they should be fine.

9. Make sure that your fences go at least 20cm under ground so that predators cannot dig underneath.

10. Know the predators. If you know the predators in your area you will know exactly what you are dealing with and ways you can stop them attacking.

11. Cover the roof of your coop. If the roof is covered flying predators like owls can't get to your flock.

12. Make the coop more visible. If the predator is visible they will feel WAY more venerable.

15. Clean the coop, water and food. Make sure everything is clean so that predators will not be attracted by food and places to hide.

16. Collect eggs DAILY. A lot of predators will break into the coop to eat eggs, so if there are none your hens will be safe and sound.

hu.gif

PDS3
jumpy.gif
So guineas are great protectors and yes they keep away snakes and lizards 🦎 cause they will eat them
I use the hot pepper trick I use ghost peppers you take the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and crush them especially the seeds put it around your coop and run and it deters predators. Not all roosters are protective I have 22roosters and only 2 of them will give another critter what for
My run is crazy my husband said I went overboard I dug 2cinder blocks deep then put down wire then sand then mulch the cinder blocks are all the way around nothing is getting in there

Last edited:
Do not attract cats to your run. Your cat may be fine but most aren't. A few years back I had 3 get into my coop and they killed 41 out of 42of my layers for sport, one bite was taken out of all the kills.

Hi again everyone,
D.gif

wink.png

hu.gif

PDS3
jumpy.gif
Relying on electric fences to keep predators out will eventually disappoint you if you live in an area like I do! A determined predator or a determined male animal in rut, will go over under or through an electric fence, frequently! Electric fencing works pretty well in general but should not be solely relied on. I have seen dogs killed by getting entangled in electric nets, but it did not stop others from killing livestock. Heavy steel woven fencing with, 2 strands barb wire and 4 and 5 strands of added charged wires have not stopped some dogs or coyotes from killing livestock for me and many others I assisted in our area. Unfortunately only added traps, night predator hunts, the fencing, guard animals and constant alertness worked at reducing losses to nearly zero, but never actually zero. Since I love dogs and wildlife, I hated killing dogs or even coyotes, so I did all I could to reduce the need for that! Nothing short of a fully enclosed and predator damage proof building/run will stop all attacks. Electric fences work much better at containing domestic livestock (except some males) rather than preventing entry of predators.

We are rural. I don't have electric fences but do have electric wires around my coops and pens. NOTHING has penetrated. Maybe your fence charger doesn't put out enough to really hurt the predator. When a predator touches my wires, I want them to know it. I have accidentally touched them and it really hurt. I put a cutoff switch below my fence charger to disconnect the power. I check it every evening when I go out to collect the eggs to make sure it's working. I have heard predators touch the wires and they don't do it again. Most predators first explore with their noses. Here most of the predators roam at night. I think the adults teach their young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for. At least 7000 volts will keep most predators away.
20210115_095548.jpg
20201129_095137.jpg
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

I have a better performing fence charger than a Parmak low impedance charger(for my area), though I have owned one in the past and it worked fairly well. I use wide impedance range fence chargers rather than low impedance, which is not as versatile under widely varying soil, predator and weather circumstances. Also I have been responsible for maintaining several miles of commercial electric fencing for a former employer as a maintenance manager/technician. My first experience maintaining electric fences was about 55 years ago as a teen. Later, I helped install and troubleshoot many miles of fencing. My observations about electric fencing is, that while a valuable tool that has been part of my personal livestock management or professional responsibilities for decades, it is never to be relied on . I have seen rams in rut bust through electric gates, horses charge right through them, dogs and coyotes take the shocks and climb right over them, undoubtedly receiving shocks, but unaffected as far as stopping them. The soil moisture level , the type and thickness of hair/fur, the determination of the animal or just the speed they had when going over under or through the charge wires, vary the results. Failures due to storms, fence damage, tree limbs falling on the fence or various electrical/mechanical failures are not uncommon. A seasoned animal keeper, knows that many male animals will persist even to the death to get to a female in heat. So will a starving predator! I thank you , for pointing out , that maintaining and checking the voltage, all along your system is vital and that electric fences can be so helpful. Electric netting is even more dangerous than traditional fencing, due to the tendency of animals to get entrapped and die a horrible death from multiple and continuous exposure to the shocks! I have witnessed this happening to a family pet, some years ago, and it is a tragic thing. Most people using electric fences are amateurs and woefully under informed! Children should never be allowed to be in the vicinity of a charged fence, without being in hand! Especially the nets!!! They too may panic and become entangled to their death or serious injury! I use them, but have a great respect for the danger and understand they are a tool, not a panacea for eliminating escaped animals or intruders. Under ideal circumstances, one tries to encourage an animal to touch a charge wire with their nose. That creates a respect for the wire in most animals. Many predators or aroused "Stags" will challenge any or most of all fences and if you rely only on charged wires to stop them, some will get through eventually, if not soon. I started as a young fellow with cages and runs with poultry wire and electric , similar what I see in your photos! It was a disaster here! I have seen repeated disasters at similar coops while investigating complaints for the County or from customers later (after leaving the County Health Dept. as a pest control inspector). A neighbors beloved large dog, ripped the charged wires and the chicken wire run I had then , wide open, using his teeth and killed or injured 6 or 7 chickens. I have seen dogs and coyotes climb over a 6 ft.(total height) Woven, 2x4 inch horse fence with barbwire at the bottom and top, then 5 charged wires, three on top, while the fence was charged and tested fine for 6000 to 7000 volts. Also a stud horse crash through an electric tape fence with four electric tapes, that he had respected for a year, when a couple young mares came in season on the other side. Electric is good, I use it, I just don't rely on it fully! Hardware cloth, or multiple layers of fencing, give more reliable protection for chickens. I usually use hardware cloth or 1x1 inch poultry wire and welded fence 2x2 inch or 2x4 inch over that, at the minimum. I also use a wide impedance charger and multiple charge wires. No predations on my chickens , while confined, in over twenty five years. I often do not use the electric on the coop or enclosed/covered run, as it is so tightly covered and with the wire buried 12 inches and/or skirts staked on the ground for 24 inches surrounding the run/coop, nothing has ever penetrated that set up! The use of electric for temporary runs is most common, and they usually do not have covered tops or buried sides and are less secure, even with electric nets or multiple charged wires. I endorse that use! But don't think you are predator safe! Just much better protection than a wire fence alone. No one way to do things right ! No one way to do things wrong ! We just need to use all the tools necessary to provide security for our livestock. If you don't have lots of minks, hawks, owls, coyotes, bobcats, fox, mountain lions, raccoons, coy dogs, stray dogs, cats and other vermin/wild predators, like we do here in rural Tennessee, you may not have experienced the level of problems I have witnessed the last 50 to 60 years. Good for you!

Last edited:
:welcome :frow On here most who use electric wires or fencing to protect their birds have backyard flocks. I'm am probably around your age but certainly don't have your experiences. I raise poultry for exhibition/showing at poultry shows. I have had different fence chargers over the years. I got the Parmak because I got a real deal on it and it suits my purpose. I do believe once a predator gets zapped it teaches its young that a bird is not worth getting a good zap for. Good luck and have fun...

Yeah, I am just a back yard chicken guy now. I have to remind myself sometimes, I go for the overkill, in relationship to dollars versus risk. My government and commercial experiences, tended to be , kill every living thing within striking distance, the fastest and most efficient way possible. I now have a more relaxed perspective, but still have the visions of my past witness of various situations, that do occur. Now that my physical ability declines, I am finding myself happier with doing only what is the average good practices and not always seeking the "perfect practices". My money doesn't allow much of that , either! My main, current set up is under remodeling into a small coup and I am building a small attached covered run. So far, It is not my greatest achievement! But it will have all the holes patched or covered up with hardware cloth, be dry and have plenty of controllable ventilation portals. The run is built of all treated lumber, and multiple layers of 1x1inch poultry wire, and 2x4 inch heavy welded galvanized and salvaged 2x2 inch galv. wire. The old pole shed, sheep run in, I am converting, is about 110 sg. ft. inside and I elevated a new floor about 25+ inches above the uneven old shed dirt floor. The outside protected run total area is about 240 sg. ft.. I also have an old wire covered 10 ft. x 10ft. enclosed/covered Hospital /Rehab pen for small wild animals, I rescued/rehabilitated, sometimes in the past, for local vets, that is still in good condition to keep up to 5 or 6 birds. It features a double door , escape resistant entry passage 4ft. x 6ft. x 8 ft.H. and for now, only a large dog house on a platform. So, I am hardly a big chicken rancher! I also, tend to be very concerned about , misuse of electric fences or too casual of an approach, in regards to safety. Please excuse me, if I jump in, telling folks about some bad things that have happened when using electric fencing. The dog was not the only animal I witnessed, killed by electro netting. I easily see how a child could panic and become hung up and killed. Anyway, best of wishes in your chicken endeavors and thanks for sharing all the photos! :) Oh, I wish I was in Florida today! It is 17 degrees and dropping and snowing heavily( they say up to 14 inches coming!), very unusual for here, to go below 20 degrees, at least for more than one night or to get more than a few inches of snow.🙄

Back
Top Bottom