keeping sexlinks pure

Stazia86

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Well i have some red sexlinks, and some black sexlinks in the incubator. Is this breed supposed to give the same colored chicks? and how do you keep them with the same color traits?
for example if I have two black sexlinks can i breed them together and thier chicks will have the same colors as the parents?

Also This might be a dumb question but can you breed the chicks from the same parents with each other? Or will thier babies come out wierd and deformed?
thanks for the feedback!

Neither black or red sexlinks are a breed. They are a mutts. They're very carefully bred and designed mutts. The mother and father lines are completely different usually of each consisting of a different ratio/mix of breeds. So yes you can breed them, no you will NOT get predictable results and eventually if you try to sort, and breed for consistency you will lose the EGG production for which they are both known for.

The sexlinks have two basic purposes - easy sort at hatch and great egg laying abilities. They are not purebreds and not designed to breed true, nor once breeding true would they ever produce eggs as reliably.

You can certainly breed them, and they'll make chicks but you will slowly lose their better egg abilities over generations.

Is this breed supposed to give the same colored chicks?

Sex-link chickens do not breed true to color..

can you breed the chicks from the same parents with each other?

Yes you can it is called line-breeding.

Chris​

Back
Top Bottom