Keeping standard sized hens and European Silkies in the same flock.

PouleChick

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
I'm researching the implications of keeping a mixed flock as @azygous expressed concerns about my plans to have some standard laying hens and a couple of silkies so I decided I needed to find out more ASAP. I understand that it can be an issue with bullying depending on the personalities of the hens (don't know yet as don't have them) both small and big! In my research I just came across this on wikipedia:
Quote: so it seems like the Silkies that I'm looking at getting are actually small standards and around 50% larger than what you guys in the States are talking about. I'm I right in presuming that this will massively help with the issues of keeping a mixed flock? Would love to hear what you think.

Sorry for so many questions - I'm sure I'll get there eventually! Thanks in advance.

I am from the UK and have large fowl silkies. They are part of a mixed young flock and so far are doing fine. I think one is the dominant cockerel, and quite a bully. The flock is still young (all under 3 months) so maybe I'll get problems later. The silkies are smaller but not drastically. There are lots of bantam silkies about so I wouldn't assume yours would be large fowl.

I am from the UK and have large fowl silkies. They are part of a mixed young flock and so far are doing fine. I think one is the dominant cockerel, and quite a bully. The flock is still young (all under 3 months) so maybe I'll get problems later. The silkies are smaller but not drastically. There are lots of bantam silkies about so I wouldn't assume yours would be large fowl.

Thanks for your reply - I'll have to check with my friend - but thinking about it I heard no mention of 'nain' in our conversations and they are the only breed she keeps (for eggs) so now that it is all becoming clearer to my newbie brain it would make sense that they are the standard size as the bantam ones are such tiny eggs! Also it seems that the European Silkies have much less bouffant hairdos so don't have as bad vision issues as those in the US.

Back
Top Bottom