Keeping the coop warm in the winter, HOW?

Whoaaa ...
3 of my coops will fit in that area .... !

That chicken abode of yours, *looks* like it is as big as the bedroom I had when I grew up in Europe ....
wink.png

My others are 8x8 and 8x12 and 8x20, so yes, the waterers are all where they sleep.

Since the water supply is where they *sleep*, how do you keep the water from freezing during cold winter spells ?
Is the water supply an automatic filling one, or do you add water on a regular basis ?

I have bucket defrosters we made in most that operate on a 40W light bulb. Others, I put a heating pad on low on the concrete block, cover with a towel and sit the big waterer on that. We could make more of the bucket defrosters but would need to get more 3 gallon buckets.

am new to this so am not too sure what to do, i live in UK and it can get cold here at night, would a heat lamp help? i have a normal chicken coop fits about 10 hens i got 10 in there. i am going to be changing this coop and getting a 6x4 shed so i can walk in and have easy access to the coop.

what would be the best way to keep them warm.

This is my coop.

By now you know these types of coops are NOT predator nor winter hardy.

I'd put it inside another form of shelter. Either garage/carport or barn. You could add a heat source. I'd suggest something like this. Much safer than the common Red bulbs, which are dangerous. You shouldn't need more than 100 Watts.

Last edited:
For others. Here are my coops. None had heat and no chickens have died. Roosters a bit of frost bite though. Strangely enough in the wooden coop. Ventilation is key to avoiding it. I've consider Rose, Pea comb varieties.

The doors to the hoops are open each day so chickens can go out if they wish, and they do. Paths are snowblowed. All chickens have access to the outside 365 days a year.

I worry more about the humid spring and fall.

The bottom roosts are flipped flat side up. The top boards cannot be flipped at they are part of the attic. I had branch roosts at first, they didn't like that. So I put in a flat 2x4 roost. They sit on it for awhile, then jump up to the top ones. That's why I was wondering if I need to close off the attic somehow so that they cannot roost there.

They will go where they are comfortable so I wouldn't worry about it too much. At this point their desire to be high is greater than their desire for more comfortable footing. Maybe you could double up on the rafters so they are wider?

Thanks !!

So for perches:
They like to roost up high, but provide some kind of ladder system for bigger birds,
and provide some bedding for those birds which do not sleep on perches.
If the door is drafty, make sure that the perches are above the door.

Thus, a water supply in the same area as where they sleep, is a NO NO !
Inside the coop? Not sure what you mean by this.
All my chickens have access to water 24/7.

Does that mean, it is OK, to keep the waterer *in* the sleeping area ?
In your case, is the waterer in the sleeping area (24/7 access) ?
Do they they therefore have to go inside the sleeping area to get water ?
In my case, the sleeping area is a separate area, and the water supply is outside the sleeping area,
underneath the coop, where the feed supply is also.
See attached sketch

If *the sleeping area* is closed, and there is a water supply *in* that area,
would that water supply not add to the humidity ?

The door is an *automatic door*
Open between 06:30 and 20:30 in summer.
I may have to change the schedule in winter ... ?

BTW, I did have a CCTV in the coop, just to satisfy my curiosity,
where they were sleeping.
I did see them (3 chickens) ON the perches.

You aren't going to evaporate much water from a standard "fount" in the winter, especially if it is below freezing when your problem is keeping the water liquid. You might consider a nipple waterer since there is no open water. However, if the coop is small, you might want to keep the water where it is since they will be able to get to it any time they are awake.

You definitely want to reset the door timer. The birds will go to bed around sunset and you want the door closed soon after. And they won't get up until the sun rises so you don't want the door opening earlier. Have to keep those "twilight" predators from paying a visit. Of course that means somewhat frequent resetting of the timer.

oh! just learned something from you - I have never wormed my chickens. How do I do this? They were born in April right before Easter. Thank you

Whoaaa ...
3 of my coops will fit in that area .... !

That chicken abode of yours, *looks* like it is as big as the bedroom I had when I grew up in Europe ....;)

That's still small, I could probably fit a dozen that size in the first story of my coop and still have room left over on the first floor and a still empty second story... :) Us Americans are spoiled with available land in many cases and build big, something many parts of Europe lack...

Maybe you could double up on the rafters so they are wider?

That or just nail a 1x4 flat on top...

They will go where they are comfortable so I wouldn't worry about it too much. At this point their desire to be high is greater than their desire for more comfortable footing. Maybe you could double up on the rafters so they are wider?

You aren't going to evaporate much water from a standard "fount" in the winter, especially if it is below freezing when your problem is keeping the water liquid. You might consider a nipple waterer since there is no open water. However, if the coop is small, you might want to keep the water where it is since they will be able to get to it any time they are awake.

You definitely want to reset the door timer. The birds will go to bed around sunset and you want the door closed soon after. And they won't get up until the sun rises so you don't want the door opening earlier. Have to keep those "twilight" predators from paying a visit. Of course that means somewhat frequent resetting of the timer.

I don't keep water inside the coop. I do take hot water out each morning and use those black rubber tubs for water. The ice breaks out easily and all debri comes out. I do have two 5 gallon buckets with nipples and a heater inside to keep the water liquid. The chickens will use it but don't seem to like them as much, nor get enough water.

Chickens like dogs do not sweat. They exhale moisture and this is where most of the humidity comes from. You need good ventilation near the top of the coop so the warm moist air is drawn out and away.

oh! just learned something from you - I have never wormed my chickens. How do I do this? They were born in April right before Easter. Thank you

As for worming? Depending on where you live, worming may or may not be necessary. At least perhaps not as often. Wet areas as opposed to dry areas. I use Eprinex, since it means no withdraw of eggs. Be sure to read the label of whatever you use.

I wear a head lamp and go in at night in the dark. Using an eye dropper I simply go down the line applying it between their shoulder blades. This way they don't get freaked out. I do talk to them so they know it's me. It's amazing how your voice will calm your birds. You will of course get varying opinions so follow the one you like best.

It gets very wet here in the spring. I had ducks but gave them up for the time being. Maybe next year. I just like to post pictures.
big_smile.png

I lay hay down near the coop but they like to soak their tootsies I guess.
roll.png

Last edited:
Doubling up could be a good idea. If I double up just 2 maybe they won't be all over the place pooping all over the coop. One could hope.

Back
Top Bottom