Keeping the coop warm in the winter, HOW?

From almost any reliable commercial source or from posters here on this forum,
it shows that chickens can stand remarkably low temperatures.
Depending on the kind of chicken, some of them better than others.

As a measure of safety *for you, to keep your mind at ease ...*, you could get moving blankets,
and drape them over the coop during the night,
A couple of layers (layered is always best),
with a final layer of a plastic tarp over the blankets.
This will surely keep the cold out from the walls.

I have been told too many times that a heat lamp is more dangerous, than providing heat.

If you know the prevailing wind direction, than keep the door away from the wind !
They absolutely do NOT need a drafty coop, but do need a lot of ventilation !
One (1) square foot of opening, per chicken !

Moist relatively warm air, which the chickens generate, rises to the top of the coop
and thus the ventilation should be at that same area.

I have monitored the air temperature and humidity when I started out,
and noticed that the humidity was very high at night.
It reached levels of 80 some percent !
Since then, I have increased the area of ventilation,
and the humidity has lowered to levels of around 40%,
while the temperatures did not lower at all !

The temperature inside the coop was always about 15 - 25 degrees higher than the outside.
It has been getting colder at night here and the lowest we have had was 33 degrees.
Yet my weather monitor for the inside has shown a lowest temperature of just 45 degrees !

The same can be said for the *run* at the winter time, which should have very little wind,
but again lots of daylight and ventilation !
In summer, that coop should be airy but should have shade to keep the chickens cool.
When the day temperatures reach three digit values, they will start having problems !

In the coop, they should have a perch that they can stand/sit/sleep on,
that is wider than the span of their feet.
They can hunker down and cover their feet with their body !
Mine are built from 1 x 4 pieces.

If you do not have any perches, then spread out a good six (6) inches thick
layer of straw over the floor of the coop.
They can hunker down together on the straw together to keep warm.

Last but not least, even in very cold weather,
the chickens need plenty of water to survive.
So make sure the water they have, during the day at least,
is  NOT frozen !

I also have been told that during really cold spells,
you need to add some vaseline on their combs and wattles.
Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I figure, it would not hurt ?

NOTE:
I have been at this (keeping chickens as pet livestock) for about a year now.
I did however spend months and months of reading up on what to do,
before I built a coop and bought the pullets!
So all of this is not much of personal experience,
but suggestions of many posters who have been *at it* for way longer than I have.

Thanks, @Indoroowet! Very hepful!!! The humidity/ temp info was great to know!

Good advice Indoroowet. For the run you should have about 10 sq ft per bird for standard sized birds. Less than that (5-7 sq ft) is good for bantams. I have 8 Sebrights that have their own 200 sq ft run and that is really too much but since they fly a lot I had to have enough space to put in two trees for them and cover the run so they could not fly out. My run for 22 hens and 1 rooster (standard sized) is about 300 sq ft plus they have free range all day every day.

There is no such thing as "too much" space in a run
big_smile.png

I see lots of "right size coop for x chickens". There is no right size, it CAN be too small but not really too big and the chickens don't need to heat it if you don't. Watch your birds and what they do. My 10 have ~20' of roost at 4' and 8' at 2' high in a 10x12 coop 7' high. They don't use the 2' roost and position themselves on the 4' roosts depending on the temp which can get to -20F in the winter. More spread out in the summer, close in the winter. The coop is in an old barn 70' long and their run is the barn alley and the unused stalls/storage areas. They never spend any time on the roosts during the day and they don't huddle either. They will make little "day nests" in the shavings/dirt on the alley floor in cooler/cold weather. They find places out of the wind if I have the barn doors open and it is blowing in. I have to believe that if they were uncomfortable, they would be in the coop, even if on the floor in the shavings rather than out in the run. Thus I think there is too much concern related to "keeping the coop warm" either based on it being sized so the birds heat it or providing supplemental heat.

This also is my first time raising chickens, so this mamma hen is worried if im doing enough for them. I also and wondering about heat in my coop.. I have read the threads below and am just curious. I have an old shed that we turned into a coop. I have 6 chickens (3 RIR hybrids, and 3 silkies) now mind you the older silkie lays on top of the nesting boxes with the RIR girls, and my two little boys (silkies) hang out on the ground under the boxes and huddle up. Now tonight I went out when I got home from work, and it looked as though my one little boy was shaking. They have a heat lamp out there, and the dog door (their entrance) has been closed for the last two days since they wont go outside and its been freezing here in NWPA. I have weatherstripping around the main doors to block the wind.. is there an suggestions out there, or am I ok? Thank you

here is the inside of the coop, the perch is moved in front of the boxes. the RIR's and 1 silkie rooster sleep on top of the boxes, and the two little guys sleep underneath

here is the outside of the coop

This also is my first time raising chickens, so this mamma hen is worried if im doing enough for them. I also and wondering about heat in my coop.. I have read the threads below and am just curious. I have an old shed that we turned into a coop. I have 6 chickens (3 RIR hybrids, and 3 silkies) now mind you the older silkie lays on top of the nesting boxes with the RIR girls, and my two little boys (silkies) hang out on the ground under the boxes and huddle up. Now tonight I went out when I got home from work, and it looked as though my one little boy was shaking. They have a heat lamp out there, and the dog door (their entrance) has been closed for the last two days since they wont go outside and its been freezing here in NWPA. I have weatherstripping around the main doors to block the wind.. is there an suggestions out there, or am I ok? Thank you

here is the inside of the coop, the perch is moved in front of the boxes. the RIR's and 1 silkie rooster sleep on top of the boxes, and the two little guys sleep underneath

here is the outside of the coop
That is a great shed but there are some things you might want to do. First, chickens roost at the highest point available to them. Your nest boxes should be lower, maybe 10-12 inches above the floor and block the area under them so that your birds or anything else can not get under there. Second, your roost appears to be a round dowl of some sort. If that is the case they will not want to roost there for long, especially in cold weather. The need a flat surface to roost on. Get yourself a 2x4 and position it higher than the nesting boxes wide side (the 4 inch side) up. That way they can roost with their feet flat and they can rest on their feed to keep them warm. Chickens feed are not actually designed for prolonged gripping of a pole or limb like wild birds. Third, I am guessing that picture is while you were getting it ready for the chickens. You should probably have between 4 and 6 inches of bedding (shavings or straw/hay) to provide a soft landing space for when the jump off the roost or out of the nest and to insulate the floor which looks like air can get under it and a cold floor is really uncomfortable for chickens. Fourth, the window. Does it face your prevailing winds for your area. If so do not open it as wind blowing directly on chickens can be deadly. However, if it is not on the prevailing wind side, you can open it slightly to provide ventilation once you have lowered the nest. Make sure that you have adequate ventilation, window or not, to remove any humidity generated by the chickens as a humid environment is also very bad for chickens.

I know it sounds like I am picking your shed apart but I really am not. It is great space and will accomidate more then your current six chickens should you ever have an attack of chicken math. The field looks great for free ranging your chickens in nice weather just make sure they have protection from predators, especially flying predators since it is so open and a diving hawk or owl could easily swoop in and out before you knew it.

For a first timer you did the right thing. You asked. So, you are definately on the right track for being a great chicken mom. Let us know how things progress and post some pictures of your birds. We do love pictures here on BYC.

Best of luck.

My chx played outside this week in 4 degrees and 35 mph winds.

They keep their own coop warm. Night time temps well below zero. Wind-chill were worse, but they weren't in the wind.

Hang in there.

That is a great shed but there are some things you might want to do. First, chickens roost at the highest point available to them. Your nest boxes should be lower, maybe 10-12 inches above the floor and block the area under them so that your birds or anything else can not get under there. Second, your roost appears to be a round dowl of some sort. If that is the case they will not want to roost there for long, especially in cold weather. The need a flat surface to roost on. Get yourself a 2x4 and position it higher than the nesting boxes wide side (the 4 inch side) up. That way they can roost with their feet flat and they can rest on their feed to keep them warm. Chickens feed are not actually designed for prolonged gripping of a pole or limb like wild birds. Third, I am guessing that picture is while you were getting it ready for the chickens. You should probably have between 4 and 6 inches of bedding (shavings or straw/hay) to provide a soft landing space for when the jump off the roost or out of the nest and to insulate the floor which looks like air can get under it and a cold floor is really uncomfortable for chickens. Fourth, the window. Does it face your prevailing winds for your area. If so do not open it as wind blowing directly on chickens can be deadly. However, if it is not on the prevailing wind side, you can open it slightly to provide ventilation once you have lowered the nest. Make sure that you have adequate ventilation, window or not, to remove any humidity generated by the chickens as a humid environment is also very bad for chickens.

I know it sounds like I am picking your shed apart but I really am not. It is great space and will accomidate more then your current six chickens should you ever have an attack of chicken math. The field looks great for free ranging your chickens in nice weather just make sure they have protection from predators, especially flying predators since it is so open and a diving hawk or owl could easily swoop in and out before you knew it.

For a first timer you did the right thing. You asked. So, you are definately on the right track for being a great chicken mom. Let us know how things progress and post some pictures of your birds. We do love pictures here on BYC.

Best of luck.

I agree with a lot of this but there is no reason to block off under the nests. Why NOT let them use that floor space?? You CAN NOT have "too much" floor space!
wink.png

I don't have silkies but I think I've read a lot of them prefer not so use the roosts so maybe they will sleep UNDER the nests. You don't want them sleeping IN the nests. Put the bottom of the nest box unit at ~18" off the floor with a "perch" the same length as the unit is wide running parallel and 4 to 6" out. That way they can get up to nest level and access any of them easily. Put a sloped "roof" on them so the birds won't roost up there. Plenty of poop you don't want to clean and you don't need them standing or laying in it. OR, since you already have a flat roof on the unit, enclose THAT area for feed and storage of grit, oyster shell, shaving bales, etc; that would be very convenient for YOU
big_smile.png
. I found that a 10 gallon metal trash can with a handle that also locks the lid down (I found mine at Aubuchon Hardware) exactly fit a 50# bag of feed or scratch (but only a #40 pound bag of sunflower seed) and are rodent proof (*). If you plan for that when you lower the nest boxes, you can have a really nice setup. If 50# is too much to lift to ~3', maybe they sell 5 gallon cans of the same design.

The other option for roosts is 3" round fence rails. Nothing wrong with 2x4 on the flat, I have both but anything narrower is not good support for chicken feet. If you look at them, you can see they are meant for standing, not gripping branches. And as jtn said, they need to be able to cover their feet with their feathers when they sleep in the winter to keep them warm. I would run it along the wall opposite the nest boxes so it isn't in the air flow from the window. That first stud in from the wall looks like a good distance from the wall (you want 12" minimum for large fowl) and would give you a good place to attach it. I would make some sort of "drop in" support so it is easy to take out and clean or just flip it over every once in a while because they will still get some poop on it. I find less on the fence rail than on the 2x4. This is something I WISH I had done. Placing it there will also make your life easier since you will be able to get to the window without doing the limbo.

(*) as long as you don't space and forget to put the lid in. Don't ask how I know that
idunno.gif

Thank you all for the replies, I greatly appreciate it. Like I said this is my first time with chickens. yes i have lost a silkie pullet in august, and a RIR just up and disappeared. I almost lost my fav little gray silkie, a hawk swooped down and grabbed him when my back was turned and i thought he was a goner! so beside myself, yet when i went to the coop about 30 minutes later to check on his buddy, there he was! boy was i glad! anyway, yes there is pine shavings on the ground in the coop and there is straw in all the boxes. on the ground under the boxes, there is more straw for the little boys to sleep on if they want. (they dont though) and on the wall opposite the nesting boxes is where i have the heat lamp. The window is not in the direction of the wind, so i could crack it open i suppose, but then im afraid it will take the heat out from the lamp therefore eliminating the purpose of the lamp to keep them from freezing. I do have a tote with a snap lid in there now to hold their feed so i dont have to keep going to the garage and back. Their treats and grit are kept in there also. I do not enjoy they sitting on top of the boxes. I need to block that off, tired of scraping poop off everytime i clean the coop.. gag! lol.
I started with 6 RIR and 3 silkies, got rid of 2 RIR because the were mean, and gained a silkie rooster who i often fight with, lost a RIR and a silkie, so now I am at 6 total. I do plan on getting more in the spring. as far as protection, the coop is right near our pole barn, and there are big old shrubs around it they can hide in as well as some around the house.
I will say that I am grateful for back yard chickens, there are so many knowledgeable people who can help when a newbie like me has questions.. lol THANK YOU all again!

This also is my first time raising chickens, so this mamma hen is worried if im doing enough for them. I also and wondering about heat in my coop.. I have read the threads below and am just curious. I have an old shed that we turned into a coop. I have 6 chickens (3 RIR hybrids, and 3 silkies) now mind you the older silkie lays on top of the nesting boxes with the RIR girls, and my two little boys (silkies) hang out on the ground under the boxes and huddle up. Now tonight I went out when I got home from work, and it looked as though my one little boy was shaking. They have a heat lamp out there, and the dog door (their entrance) has been closed for the last two days since they wont go outside and its been freezing here in NWPA. I have weatherstripping around the main doors to block the wind.. is there an suggestions out there, or am I ok? Thank you here is the inside of the coop, the perch is moved in front of the boxes. the RIR's and 1 silkie rooster sleep on top of the boxes, and the two little guys sleep underneath here is the outside of the coop
Nice coop. X2 with everything Jtn said. The only suggestion I would add is it looks like you are short on ventilation. The general rule it one square foot ventilation per bird. I see one little vent at the front of the shed. Is there one in the backside? Like Jtn said, the window could possibly be used for vent if it won't draft onto the roosting birds. Otherwise you will want to add more ventilation.

As has been said above, lower the nesting boxes.
Leave about 2 feet of space underneath. The chicks will use it .
Add a sloping roof on them, else you will be cleaning their poop, whether you like it or not.

Add a perch as mentioned. I also have the drop in 2x4 and thus easy to clean.
But a few of the chicks sleep on the floor. One sleeps in a nesting box. NO idea why .
There is about 3 inches high straw on the floor,
and the nesting boxes have 3-6 inches of pine shavings.
I have a CCTV and a remote sensing temp/moisture indicator in our coop.
So I can *see* the hens and check on the humidity.

I looked closely at your building and it seems you have a fairly large vent above the door.
That may be enough for ventilation.
Keep in mind, NO draft, plenty of ventilation !
Leave the window closed.

Absolutely no need to heat the building !
Just forget it, but keep an eye on the condition of the chickens.,
Check their combs and wattles, They might suffer from frostbite if the coop is moist during their sleeping time .
As long as the coop is *dry* (with good ventilation !!!), they should not have any problems .

But ... , you do need to make sure that their water supply does not freeze !

What would be the lowest temperatures you *may* expect ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom