Keeping them separate?

Seachickens13

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Hi guys, I am wondering do you need to keep chickens and pulleys separate to feed them? I have laying chickens but I want to incubate some dual purpose birds. I have found a growers/pulled ration for the young 'uns, but do I mix it with the layers pellets my 2year olds are used to, or do I keep the birds completely separate so I can feed them different things?
Thanks,
Seachickens13

The main thing is that growing birds can't have the 4% calcium in layer feed. How you choose to handle that is up to you but you have 2 options. Keep the birds separate or feed everyone the grower feed and provide oyster shell or another calcium source in a separate container for those birds laying eggs to consume free choice.
If you have the housing options, raising separately makes it easiest.
Mixing the feeds 50:50 will give you a feed that is about 2 1/2 % calcium. Not enough for layers and a little too high for growing birds.

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

I was feeding 20% flock raiser, but it was causing angel wing in my ducks, so I switched to a 17% (i think) grower/finisher. Everyone seems to be doing fine on it, and it's also cheaper! Just provide oyster shell for the girls when you switch from layer to non-layer feed. :)

I was feeding 20% flock raiser, but it was causing angel wing in my ducks, so I switched to a 17% (i think) grower/finisher. Everyone seems to be doing fine on it, and it's also cheaper! Just provide oyster shell for the girls when you switch from layer to non-layer feed. :)
Not sure the OP has ducks.....mispellings of pullet is what I assumed, could mean pekin ducks tho.

What is angel wing?
It's a wing deformity in ducks caused by too much protein...makes their wings stick out away from body.

Thanks guys, I didn't expect this much response!! I think most of you are saying to get flock raiser with 20% protein and I already leave out oyster shell as if I don't some of my girls eat their own eggs. Chick crumb is fine for pullets and growers at the start right? Thanks so much,
Seachickens13:)

Thanks guys, I didn't expect this much response!! I think most of you are saying to get flock raiser with 20% protein and I already leave out oyster shell as if I don't some of my girls eat their own eggs. Chick crumb is fine for pullets and growers at the start right? Thanks so much,
Seachickens13:)
There are several formulations, under different 'names', that have higher protein. Just read the nutrition parts of the labels.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom